Chapter 42: Just Observing

John's POV

As we headed in the direction of the pack border, going deeper into the forest, my body began to tense up; I was worried, I was not sure what Claire and I were about to see, but I did know I was not gonna like it, and most importantly I knew that however we reacted would make or break our chances of avoiding another war.

I started to think of all the possibilities of what we were about to witness if maybe I should have forced Claire to wake her brother and ask for some back up just in case, but I don't think I could have, Claire was determined, and while there are still so many things I have yet to learn about this new, more confident Claire, I already understood that I should count myself lucky that she is allowing me to come along with her. 

As an Alpha I know that it should irk me, to ask for permission instead of to just command ow things are going to go, but I have no desire to pull rank with Claire, she is my equal in so many ways, more so now than ever before, I do not want to control her, I want to provide and protect her space so she can blossom into the Queen she is quickly becoming.

Everything in the atmosphere is still, there is a strong sense of foreboding in the air, and it causes me to pause, as I try and fail to use my senses to give me a hint to what we are heading towards.

Claire picks up the pace, pulling me to keep up with her, as the beginning of the forest comes into view.

"John hurry up, I think this is going to be serious, the elements are screaming at me right now, demanding that I see the disturbance"

"I'm right here with you claire. Tell me, what are you feeling?"

She squeezes my hand in a painful grip, as a shudder runs through her body.

"Evil."

again, I try to use my senses, to pick something up, but my wolf seems far from me, as I try to connect and call him forward, the connection slips like water through my fingers. 

"something is very wrong" I mutter under my breath

"You feel it too?" claire says looking up to me.

"No, I don't feel the evil your feeling, in fact, I don't feel anything" I whisper, "its as if my wolf is asleep" I pull Claire to a stop, grabbing both her arms until she is focused on me. 

"Are you sure about this Claire?"

she places her right hand softly on my left cheek, "Yes John, we have to see what's happening, I will not be allowed to ignore this feeling without great discomfort, you don't think you will be able to shift? What's wrong?" 

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair, "I don't know for sure, but I may have been drugged, we can worry about that later though. I don't think I will be able to shift, so at least I know I won't be able to do anything rash, we need to be smart about this, you need to promise me that we are simply going to observe, wolf or no wolf I will protect you until my last breath, do you understand what I am saying to you?"

Her piercing blue eyes are locked on mine, I move closer to my mate, and lean down until my forehead is resting on hers, I can see her soaking up every single word that is coming out of my mouth.

"yes" she breathes out,  "just observing".

I give her a small smile at the look of determination on her face, and lightly kiss her forehead

"No, what I'm saying is that my next few breaths are in your hands, whether or not they are my last is completely up to you."

I move back a bit to grab her hand and direct us both straight into the forest.