Chapter 21- Hopelessly Devoted

I've mercifully decided to write a double chapter this evening, instead of forcing y'all to wait for this chapter for three days. Trust me, you'll appreciate not having to wait for what's about to happen.

PLEASE do not play the song until instructed in the story, as this will give the story all of the yummy cliche goodness you've all been waiting for.

Have you ever been so focused on an assignment you're working on that literally no outside stimuli registers in your brain?

Well, that's me right now.

Thoughts barely register in my brain as I furiously write down everything I feel for Sean. The love, pain, adoration, and longing I've suffered for God only knows how long pours onto the page. As I write this down, my mind slowly works to think of how I can put these words into a melody. The notes begin bouncing around in my head, feeling sort of like one of those old Disney Sing-a-longs with the little bouncing ball going across the lyrics. I'm in the freaking ZONE! Each minute feels like seconds, and yet the work I'm able to accomplish is far more than I'd put out on any other occasion.

Something deep inside of me tells me that I need this to be done today. I need it to be written while my yearn to confess was still fresh, so that I can't chicken out. I don't think I'll stick to my decision for even 24 hours, so it needs to be finished ASAP.

Aslin never once bothers me. We seem to have an understanding today where I just kind of need to work alone. Our only true conversation besides the customary pleasantries was when I asked her for a rhyming dictionary, which she handed me with a smile and a "good luck."

So, I write. I jumble the words around to fit into a story. I assemble the notes floating around in my brain on a page, and work to put the words in time with the music. I change words as I need to, whether it be due to an incorrect tempo or the need to rhyme.

Finally, just as I'm putting the final lyrics onto the page, the bell rings. 

I lean back and stare at my paper.

I go over it in my head, melody and tempo and all.

I really like it. Like... with a PASSION.

Hands shaking from all of the adrenaline my body has pumped out due to the frantic writing session, I slowly grab the paper and walk it to Mrs. Aslin.

"I-I was wondering if you could take a look at the first d-draft of my song."

"Of course, Luke. If you don't mind waiting, I can read it right now while you rest." She smiles. "I could tell from all the way over here just how fast you were writing."

I smile in thanks and turn to walk away before I remember something. "Hey, uh, I want to tell you this personally cause it'll show up in the song anyway and you should hear it from me."

I take a deep breath. "I'm gay."

Aslin smiles. "I know. I do appreciate you telling me, but you don't need to be afraid to tell me such things. I'm a choir teacher, honey. You're not my first gay student and you won't be the last."

I laugh and return to my seat, collapsing in exhaustion.

I pull out my phone and open up my text messaging app.

*The Most Beautiful Boy in the World*

Sent at 3:04 PM- Hey. We still on for tutoring tonight?

Thankfully, he responds almost immediately.

Received at 3:05 PM- Yes and no. If an adult asks, yes. However, Aurora's at a sleepover and Rebecca's taken a day off for some date, so you can bet your ass we're playing video games.