Twenty Three - A Discovery

Megumi squinted her eyes as soft rays of the afternoon sun filtered from her window. She slowly opened them and found herself cradled between Suna's arms. He's too close! They must've fallen asleep together in her sofa after the exhausting events from earlier. She quietly tried to slip away from him, to not disturb him in his sleep. When she finally broke free, she went to her room to change after she noticed that she's still wearing Suna's jacket over her uniform.

Her blouse is ruined and she looked like a total mess. Well that was to be expected, after all that crying, of course she'll look that haggard. She picked some comfy clothes, went to the bathroom, quickly showered and put on the fresh clothing. She then went to the kitchen and checked the time. It's almost 2pm. Her stomach growled and she thought that she must be hungry after all.

She got to the fridge and took out the extra onigiri that she made earlier today. There are only 4 of them left. She set up the steamer from the rice cooker to heat them a little. After she was done with all that, she went back to the living room, only to find Suna fixing a deadpan towards her.

"What's with the eternal deadpan, Rin?"

"You left."

"I just went in my room to change." She said as she tugged on the hem of her oversized shirt.

Suna stood up from the seat and enveloped her in a hug, whispering, "Don't leave like that again."

Megumi blushed a little at his actions. "Rin, h-hey, are you dreaming?" She stuttered a little but quickly recovered herself and said with more ferocity this time, "Hey! You're being annoying again!" She pushed away him a little.

Suna displayed his signature smirk and fired back, "You like me annoying you, though."

"I don't like you."

"Yeah, you tell that to your boyfriend."

She just ignored him and said, "There are some leftover onigiri in the kitchen. Come eat some."

"Wait, gimme a sec." He got his phone and relayed some unread messages to her. "We won. And Kayo-san asked how you are. She said she'll call you again later."

In sync with the narration, Megumi's phone rang. She picked it up and Kayo's voice immediately blared from her speakers, "OH GOD MEGUMI, HOW ARE YOU? SUNA TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENED! ARE YOU REALLY FINE? WERE YOU HURT SOMEWHERE? DID THE POLICE FINALLY GET HIM? THAT SLIMY, TURDY, PIECE OF BULL!! TELL ME WHERE HE IS RIGHT NOW AND I'LL GIVE HIM A KICK IN THE BALLS AND MAKE SURE HE'LL NEVER BE HAPPY AGAIN!!"

Her phone wasn't on loudspeaker but Kayo's voice was still heard by Suna because she was yelling from the other end of the line. Megumi tried to calm her down by saying, "Eh, well, you see, Kayo – he almost got me..."

"Oh no, Megumi, I'm sorry, I reminded you about him..."

"No, it's okay. It's settled now. We got him...but he's...."

"He's what?"

She paused for a long while and Kayo repeated, "He's what? Megumi-chan?"

"He's..... someone I know."

Kayo was silenced for a while before she spoke again, "D-do I know him?"

"I'll fill you in the details later about what happened, I promise. But, it was all thanks to Suna. He really saved me back there when I thought no one would."

"That's good to know. He successfully cleared his mission. I knew I can count on him." She smiled at her friend's words. Kayo was the first one in this agreement to put her trust on Suna, which made her trust him too. It's a nice feeling when someone you trust really kept their word and did not let you down.

"Yeah...."

"So, are you with each other now?"

"He's keeping me company at the moment. But I'll send him out soon after. He even missed his game today. I feel bad about that actually."

"Nah, don't worry. The boys thrashed their opponents, 2-0. We'll have the third round on Friday. It's a home game so our gym will be the venue. You should definitely watch."

"I will. I did promise to watch his next game."

"Oh so you promised?" judging by the teasing tone of her voice, Megumi can imagine the look on her friend's face right now – eyebrows raised and mouth in a faint smirk.

"So what if I did? That's the least I can do. Come now, Kayo. I know what you look like right now."

"Eh – so how do I look like?"

"Whatever, thanks for calling buh-"

"Chotto-matte kudasai! Don't end it yet. Chill, I'm not teasing you." Oh, you obviously are.

"What else do you want to talk about?"

"Well, about that – you know – that agreement? So it's off now coz the goal's been accomplished?"

She paused for a while before answering, "Actually..... it's still on."

"Oh – juicy! Why, may I ask?" She looked around her surrounding and Suna was eyeing her carefully for her next words. She answered in almost a whisper.

"Suna said we should keep it going a little bit longer since he's not yet fully paid. I haven't completed my end of the bargain yet. He thinks it's unfair, so yeah... I guess?"

"I see.... hmmmmm......" Kayo said, and added, "Makes sense, but this is where it gets complicated."

"What do you mean?" Again, she shot a look at Suna, who was now munching on her onigiri.

"You still have two wishes to –"

"Only one remaining now –"

"Right, one wish left to grant into him. But you're at the shorter end of the stick this time, Meg. Coz you'll never know when he'll ask for the third wish. His payment will remain incomplete until he asks for it. Until then, this act will keep going. Am I right or am I right?"

Damn the hole of this agreement. Of course, she's right. She will never know when this will end. And she's not sure if she can keep up with the act for a longer time. She doesn't know if Suna can still overhear Kayo now, but she still made faint responses to the ongoing call.

"I'll figure it out."

"Alright, if you say so. Bye now, Megumi. I'll see ya tomorrow, 'kay?" and she hung up on her.

--

Unbeknownst to Kayo, Osamu overheard her conversation with Megumi on the phone. Though he can't make out everything that Megumi said on the other line, he clearly heard everything that their manager said.

If he pieced it correctly, it goes like this:

Megumi was in danger earlier today and she was saved by Suna. That's why she was out of the class and the disinterested middle blocker was absent from their game for the second round of the tournament. Apparently, there is also an agreement between the two. Suna already did his part, but Megumi still hasn't. So the agreement is still on until Megumi makes her end of the bargain. From the conversation earlier, it seems that the time when the agreement will terminate is uncertain, since it all depends on Suna.

He sighed. What is that agreement about? What is this mention about an "act"? He's got to figure it out.