-ˋ 43

CHAPTER FORTY THREE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY RETURN TO KINGS CROSS

. . .

James, Tiger and Sirius arrived at the very train station that they had been in just a few days previously fifteen minutes early for once. Usually, the Potters made sure to be there for five minutes before, but really, it was just because James would make them late.

But the family had watched as Tiger asked James to hurry up, and the boy instantly stopped messing with his hair in the entrance hall mirror, his arms dropping to his side and following the girl outside like a lost puppy.

It was something they hadn't really expected to see, and it was them who very almost made them later, rather than their son.

The group of five passed through the barrier betweem platforms quickly, and both Tiger and Sirius began their search for Remus through the crowd of families seeing off their children.

Finally, Tiger saw him, and alerting Sirius and James, she took off, weaving her way through the crowd, and stopping at Remus's side, all smiles until she turned to look at what she thought was just going to be Hope and Lyall.

But no, her father, mother and sister were stood there as well. And James, a few feet away, stuck behind a group of people, saw the life visibly drain from her face, leaving her pale and looking slightly sick.

Pushing his way past, James took his place beside Tiger, without saying anything. He looked where she was focused, and found her mother looking as if she was seething with anger.

Silently, he took her hand, and gave it a gently squeeze, trying not to smile when he felt her reciprocate his action.

"Who do you think you are?" Grace Howell announced, seemingly not caring about her public appearance anymore, so much so that she was not only fighting in front of family, but in front of the many people gathered on the platform.

"You can't just leave when you feel like it. Do you know how ungrateful you are? After all we've done for you." She shouted, and David Howell seemed paralised, staring between his daughter and wife.

"But, Mrs Howell." Tiger blinked, somehow getting the confidence she never had to stand up to her mother. "You gave birth to me. So you have to give me certain things. And of course, I have never gotten anything but the bare minimum from you."

"Bare minimum? All the family holidays, moving our whole lives because of something that you did? Of course, the bare minimum." Grace snapped.

"So you think I did it? So what I'm getting here, is that you think that I did it. You think that I am the cause of that problem. And do you know why that is? Because you never liked me. I was far too independent for your little trophy daughter ideal. And you didn't get to know me. You didn't bother to get to know your own daughter." Tiger looked as calm as ever, and if James wasn't by her side, he was sure he would have been scared of her.

"It doesn't matter whether you did or didn't do it. You got expelled Tiger." Grace replied, and suddenly, Matilda wiggled free of her aunt's grasp, and ran over to her sister, hugging her legs, Tiger ruffling her hair.

"And what about it? Maybe if you stood up for me, because you know that I would never do that. Oh wait, you don't. Because you didn't even bother to get to know me, and did the bare minimum. Never just talked to me, just argued. Your daughter is suppose to be someone you love, not your personal punching bag." Tiger shrugged.

"Don't think about coming back. When you finish your sixth year, you need to find a place to stay." Grace replied, and it was only then when David stepped in, only to have Grace elbow him in the ribs.

"She already has a place." James looked to his side to see his mother, looking angrier than he had ever seen her - more so than when he broke various things when he was on his baby broom. "Here is our address, I would appreciate it if you sent everything that Tiger owns to our house." The woman handed Grace a slip of parchment.

"Really?" Tiger looked over to Euphemia and Fleamont, who nodded. James squeezed her hand once again, and Tiger looked back at her mother. "Well, there you go Grace. I would appreciate it if you stopped referring to me as your daughter, as it now seems that you only have one. And I sure hope that you don't do the same to her that you did to me."

"I-." Grace trailed off, before frowning and leaving the group, ignoring the whole group of people that had crowded around them.

Tiger instantly turned to James, who happily returned her hug. "It was always going to happen." She mumbled in his ear, wobbling slightly on her tiptoes.

"I'm just glad it happened where you have support." James replied, and Tiger nodded, tucking her chin behind his shoulder and holding him for just a moment more, before turning back to face her father and Matilda, who had run back to Hope.

"I'm so sorry." David looked utterly confused, and his normally perfected hair was all over the place, due to him running his hand through it so many times. "I think it's best if I go. Hope would you mind looking after Tilly for a few days? I need to talk to Grace and.. re-evaluate our relationship."

Hope nodded, and Matilda jumped up and down at her feet, excited to be staying with her aunt and uncle. David turned to Tiger, some sort of fear in his eyes, as if he was scared of what she would say.

"Tiger, I'm so sorry. I can't even explain.." David trailed off, looking emotional. "I know you will never fix things with Grace. But I hope, despite my lack of support, that you can forgive me. Write me a letter, if you want to?" He asked, looking hopeful.

"It's not your fault dad." Tiger seemed to soften whilst talking to her father. "I didn't want to tell you every time she did it because she would always say she didn't. I think I'll write at some point, I need to process things."

The girl sighed, then looked to Euphemia and Fleamont. "Thank you, so so much." She said, and Euphemia reached out to hug the girl, and Tiger almost cried right there and then.

But somehow she didn't, and the hug broke. "Of course, sweetpea." Euphemia smiled. "We'll sort everything out."

"Thank you. I think I'll get on the train now. I'll see you all in the cabin." Tiger said, pulling her cases behind her, loading them into the train before making her way to the usual compartment, where Peter was waiting.

"Good holiday?" She asked, slipping into a seat besides Peter. The boy nodded, and Tiger felt slightly uncomfortable. She really did try her best to converse with Peter, but somehow they just never clicked, and it was always awkward.

The pair sat in the silence until the other three joined them, Sirius happily reunited with Remus, and James more than happy to see Tiger even after the few minutes they were apart.

She didn't want to seem down, and so, Tiger dismissed everything that just happened to the back of her mind, and returned to her usual self.

The three who knew what had happened stared for a moment, confused on the change in attitude, but soon forgot about it, and James and Tiger happily sat next to each other on the journey back to Hogwarts

Their intertwined hands sitting on the velvet seat between them.