chapter 37 | Your love for me

"I...We won't ever be bothered anymore...they won't threaten you anymore..."

He frowns at me, probably understanding what my sentence means but hoping for it to not be true. "What the hell are you saying, y/n? You better not have done anything with Sungwoo or one of those guys."

I glance down.

/ flashback \

8 pm.

I knock on the door with my trembling hand, feeling all the rain soak my clothes and wet my hair and skin as the wind is blowing hard. My heart is pounding my chest, my body shaking with fright, but I stand on my feet and do this for Jungkook.

After short seconds, the door opens. The man appears before me, but my heart skips a beat out of terror. I hug my own body to try to seek some reassurance, wishing I could just kill him and all the people who hurt the one I love.

His smirk does not even help my wrath. "No way the girl who sent the cops on me is standing before me," he scoffs, the sight of him weakening my whole body. "What the hell are you doing here at this hour? Do you know how dangerous it is for a little girl like you?"

"Please...j—just...listen to me, please..." I grip onto my clothing, scared of the consequences of my act. "Do you know I could kill you right now?"

"I have the money you want," I get straight to the point because of the dread, knowing him, and what he would be able to do with no regrets. "I'm just begging you...leave Jungkook alone...he's never done anything wrong, he just wants to live a normal life...please...I promise I'll give you all the money I earn a month, but leave him alone and stop hurting him..." my quivering voice exposes my sobs, the exhaustion caused by this situation provoking all of this.

He leans onto the door frame, gripping it and staring at my shaking self. He stretches his hand out to me. "The money."

I open my coat and take the cash out, wasting a part of my savings and what Jungkook's father gave me to put an end to this. I hand him everything, and he grabs it to check it. "How much do you have?"

"Three thousand..." I answer him. "I know this is not a lot...but I swear, I will keep on paying you each month until you got all the money back as you wanted. I just want Jungkook to live and not be under threat all the time just because of such a thing..."

His eyes leave the cash to look at me. "You're the nineteen years old girl I saw at the mall, aren't you?" his eyes remain fixed on me, and I acquiesce.

"Where did you get this?" he points the money out. "My savings, the money I earn..."

"Hm," he doesn't exude any kind of emotions, my heart not calming down but causing an extreme amount of anxiousness. "So you're telling me that a nineteen years old girl is able to pay me, but not a thirty-two years old man, who has a stable work and who earns way much more than you do every month? Uh?"

"He lost his job...and he never had enough money to pay all the bills of his house..." I explain to him, despite all the indifference I see upon his face. "He paid that house just for your sister because he thought she would be there to help him in case there might be a problem...he always loved her...but she left him only because he couldn't earn enough money, and now you and your family are hurting him even more only because of something he did to save himself and not end in the streets. What if it was happening to your sister? What if she was the one instead of Jungkook? Would you let them hurt and destroy your sister only because of some money her ex spent in a vehicle? He always respected her, so why—"

"What are you to him?" he doesn't get angry or mad at me, acting different from when I first saw him. Would it be possible for him to believe and understand me? Or would it be too optimistic to believe so?