Chapter 11

I can't be happier today, because it's Sunday. That means no school and no Dimitri. I slept awful last night. My mind had been swirling with the events of yesterday, so I had come to the conclusion that I would ignore him. I know I said that last time, but this time I'm gonna keep my promise.

Emily and I have plans about exploring town today. Neither of us has really gotten the chance to do that yet. And we haven't really been hanging out lately, so today would be the perfect opportunity to have some fun. Plus I get to keep my mind occupied with something else, then Dimitri and his annoying episodes.

"Are you ready to leave?" Emily asks me from her bed.

"Yes, just give me a sec," I say as I grab my wallet and a hoodie.

Soon we are on our way to sunny California. Or so we thought. Right outside our door stands Emily's brother, Jamie, and the rest of the gang. And, of course, that's including Dimitri. Great, I just need one frickin' day where he isn't all up in my business.

"Hey, sis. Where are you going?" Jamie asks.

"Oh, hi guys. We are just going to explore Cali," she tells him, "Do you want to come?"

My head snaps around to glare at her, as soon as the words leave her mouth. She just ignores me.

My eyes unconsciously meet Dimitri's, but I quickly divert them.

Jamie looks around to the guys who are nodding, except Dimitri, and answer, "Yeah, that would be cool."

We then walk outside and head off-campus. I kinda just stay in the background, while Emily and Harry are chatting. I'm gonna kill her when we get back. Today was supposed to be a Dimitri free day, and where did I end up? Oh, that's right - he's walking 4 feet from me. Ugh, I can't deal with this, but I do wanna see this town, so I'm just going to ignore him. Yes, just as I planned to.

*****

3 hours have now passed. Dimitri and I haven't exchanged a single word with each other. I have gotten to see Cali and I actually like it a lot here. Since we've been walking for quite some time, we decide to go get lunch. We stop at a small diner and slide into a booth. I sit pressed up against the window. Beside me is Emily and besides her are Harry. The two of them seem to hit it off pretty good. In front of me is Dimitri sitting. Jamie and Oliver are sitting next to him. I sigh at the way we are sitting. Now I have to endure sitting right in front of him. I am just going to eat my lunch without looking at him. The waiter comes and takes our orders. I really want to order a cheeseburger, but instead, I order a salad. I don't wanna seem greedy or fat in front of the guys.

I have gotten extremely hungry when our food arrives, but as soon as I see my bowl of salad, I lose my appetite. This looks absolutely disgusting, to be honest. It looks like the dressing have expired and the fruit hasn't been washed. I look up to look at the other food but make eye contact with Dimitri instead. This time I don't break it, even though I should have. He eyes my salad with disgust and looks up at me again.

What, I mouth him.

"That looks absolutely disgusting," he whispers.

I can't help but feel a small smile play at my lips. At least I'm not the only one thinking, that the salad looks disgusting.

My eyes go down to look at his food. It looks amazing! He ordered a cheeseburger with fries on the side. Just what I had wanted.

Dimitri picks up his cheeseburger and starts eating. My gaze never leaves the cheeseburger, and he seems to notice when half of it is devoured. Sighing, he puts the burger down on the plate. Then, in a swift moment, the half cheeseburger is in front of me, and the salad is in front of himself. I look up at him shocked. He gives me a small nod and that is enough encouragement for me to eat. I tell you, this is probably the best burger I've ever had. A moan almost leaves my throat and it takes me back to Dimitri and I's make-out session yesterday.

Suddenly I remember that we're not alone in this booth. I look around to see if anyone has seen the exchange between Dimitri and I. My eyes lock with Jamies. He looks very confused, between Dimitri and me, but doesn't say anything, which I appreciate.

After lunch, we decide to head back to campus. I muttered a small 'Thank you for the burger' to Dimitri before we left. That's the last thing we said to each other that day.