Chapter 2: Locking Eyes

Tara arranged for an uber to pick her and Rachel up at the club. She stared at her poor friend, passed out in front of her, and affectionately tousled her hair. "Oh, Rach..." she muttered. Her friend gave a stifled 'hmm' in reply. Tara decided that they better wait inside the club for their car. She was going to assist her friend to the car once it arrived.
"Hey! Mind if I buy you a drink?" Tara looked up from the cell phone screen into the blue eyes of a handsome stranger.
Tara couldn't help but smile, "I won't be good company to you, my friend isn't feeling so well," pointing to Rachel, she continued, "we are heading out, anyway."
"Well then, at least a farewell drink?" He pleaded.
"Um, sure, I guess." Tara reluctantly agreed.
"What'll it be?" He asked, combing a hand through his short, blonde hair.
"I am thinking...martini!"
"...With an olive?" He questioned with a glint in his eyes.
"Yeah!" Tara grinned and watched him rush to the bar for drinks.
When Jake reached back to Tara, she had but a few minutes to chat up with him before her uber arrived. To Tara's delight he asked her for her number and assured her he'll give her a call.
He even helped her in putting Rachel in the car before their final goodbye.
"It was good meeting you, Tara."
"You too, Jake."
"I will call you, ok?" Jake stated endearingly.
"I won't let my cellphone outta sight!" Tara replied, only half joking.
This made Jake laugh and he motioned to close the door of the car -- Tara heard a voice in the background.
"Heading out, man?" A deep, husky voice called out to Jake. Tara couldn't immediately see who it was for Jake stood covering the car door while she sat inside.
"Tara, hold on a sec?" Jake requested of Tara and turned away from the car.
"Ian, get in here, man. Let me introduce you to someone." Jake signalled someone to come to the car.
Tara saw a man approach them. Sitting inside, she saw an incredibly tall, muscular man, dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt, approach their vehicle. She couldn't see his face, just his body -- which was fiercely toned. He then bent in order to look inside the car.
"Hello." He said monotonically.
Tara was left...stunned and for several awkward seconds...speechless!
He was British - it was hard not to detect the accent in the monosyllabic greeting, and he was gorgeous! The kind of gorgeous one doesn't see very often, or, sees only once in a lifetime! His eyes were a striking, hypnotic blue, the nose - elegantly straight, and the lips, thin, wide and perfectly proportioned. He was deeply tanned, with a stubble that did little to hide the fact that he had a chiseled face and a square jaw.
Tara had never seen a more handsome man in her life. And after a quiet of several seconds, she weakly mouthed, "Hi!"
Ian stared at her for what seemed like a long hard minute, and then shifted his attention to Rachel. "Had a few too many, this one?"
"Yeah, I am afraid so..." Tara replied, still jolted inside.
"This is Tara and her friend Rachel. We just met, but unfortunately, they have to leave." Jake told Ian smiling.
"Oh!" Ian replied as if he were not at all interested in Tara and her friend's predicament.
Tara took this as a sign and told Jake that they really must get going. Both the men then stepped back from the vehicle and the car sped away.
Tara kept thinking about Jake the entire car ride home. She enjoyed their little run-in. She didn't know what to feel about his friend though; as handsome as he was, he came off as a cold, unfeeling man.
"Why do all the cold ones have to have it all?!" She mused to herself.
"Huh?" Rachel inquired in her drowsy state.
"Nothing, Rach! Nothing!" Tara remarked, dismissing the thoughts of the cold friend from her mind.