☆T H I R T Y ☆

CHAPTER THIRTY; I AM A HORSE

MUCH TO BETH'S dismay she helped Tommy escape the hospital, knowing that if she didn't help he would end up discharging himself anyway and god knows how far he'd get until he'd collapse. She helped him walk, leaning on her for support, Tommy let the way to Charlie Strong's yard, through the shadows of the back streets in hopes not to get seen. When they arrived at the yard Tommy opened the gate, it swinging back and hitting the wall loudly causing one of Charlie's horses to rear and gallop away from them. Tommy took Beth's arm once again and began to lead her through his uncles yard.

"Who goes there?" Charlie asked from the shadows. "Tommy?" Curley asked in confusion stepping out to look between the pair. "And Beth." She sighed, holding Tommy up as best she could. "Curley. Get me that oil you put on their legs when they go lame." Tommy instructed. "Are you fucking mad Tommy?" Charlie exclaimed. "The yellow stuff. Go on." Tommy shooed, Beth watching from under Tommy's arm as Curley ran down the yard searching. "You let him out? They said you'd be in for another three weeks. Beth they said you'd be in for two, at least until they got that metal out of your face."

Beth glared at Charlie helping Tommy sit on the chair he put down for Tommy. "I tried to keep him fucking in Charlie, better I went with him then letting him bloody collapse on the way here." She grumbled. "I need to get on a boat to London. Tonight." Tommy informed his uncle, heaving in breaths. "You discharged yourself." Charlie declared. "I'm a fucking sitting duck in there Charlie. Sabini could send a man at any time. I need to get some things done." Tommy mumbled.

"You're burning up." Charlie sighed, pressing the back of his knuckles against Tommy's cheek. Curly appeared around the corner a bottle of oil in his hands. "Oh Tommy that stuffs for rubbing into fucking horses." Charlie pried. Tommy let out a quiet scoff a smirk on his lips. "I am a horse." Charlie grinned. "If you were a horse they'd shoot you with this many broken bones." Tommy looked up at Curly who stood over him. "Go get the black power Curly." Tommy instructed. "Go the black powder."

Beth scoffed shaking her head. "You pay for a bloody hospital bed but you're using witchcraft?" She asked, looking down between Tommy and Charlie in disbelief. Her stare on Charlie only begging him not to let Tommy do this. "I need to sleep in the open air and feel the boat under me, Beth." Tommy replied, reaching over to take her hand in his. "Oh Tommy, your just like your mother." Charlie sighed. "Do you have a boat here?" Tommy asked.

"Only the January. She's heavy. London would take four days." Charlie replied, nodding up at Beth as if telling her to go. "That'll do. Can you spare Curly? He'll be my doctor." Tommy asked. "Then God help you." Charlie teased a small smile playing at his lips. "You have tobacco Curly?" Tommy quizzed. "And tea and whiskey. You'll be running around like a colt." Curly cheered, Beth smiling softly at him. Curly was not a bad man, he was kind and caring and loved Tommy and Charlie. He just wasn't all there in the head but yet would never dare hurt a living soul, a kindred soul was Curly.

"Get him aboard. I'll fill her up." Charlie instructed. Beth stood back and let Curly help Tommy onto the boat. "If I sleep all the way, it's Camden Town we're headed for." Tommy informed. "What business do you have in Camden Town Tommy?" Charlie inquired. "Tell Polly she's in charge while I'm away. If I don't come back, tell her she's in charge for good." Tommy told Beth. Beth helped Curly get Tommy to step on the boat and scoffed. "Also tell Pol that Bethany is gone with Tommy."

Tommy groaned shaking his head at Beth. "You go back to the hospital." Tommy demanded, just as the boat started to move away. Beth looked back at Charlie who sent her a wink, Beth waving to him slightly before sitting down in front of Tommy. "You're too clingy. Why can't you do as I ask?" Tommy scolded, frowning slightly over at Beth. "Sorry, I'm a sitting duck back in Small Heath without you." She teased. "Plus Curly loves me, eh Curly?" Curly glanced back at Beth with a wide smile and nodded quickly. "Yeah- yep- yeah. Tommy's Beth yeah-yeh."

Beth chuckled and pointed into the back of the boat. "Go sleep love, you need it." Tommy nodded and stood up with Beth's help and walked slowly down into the back of the boat. Beth sighed sitting down onto the ground beside where he lay and picked up a book she found in a pile, beginning to read as Tommy tried to fall asleep. A peaceful and needed silence overcoming them both. "I thought you couldn't read."

Beth glanced down at Tommy, before glancing back out the window as the night began to creep up onto them. "I can't. Doesn't stop me from trying." Tommy nodded slowly and clutched Beth's hand, closing his eyes once more. The night began to creep up on them and before Beth knew it, night had turned to day. Another day of no sleep, another day of caring for Tommy.

She had forgotten the book hours into the early morning and instead took to brushing the hairs from Tommy's forehead that was damp with sweat as he shook from the horse medication. His hand still clamped in hers tightly, and Beth sighed. "Look what mess you've gotten us into now Tommy." She muttered, pushing herself up and quietly walking out of the room onto the front of the boat to Curly. Beth sat down onto the edge of the boat and began to take off her socks and shoes before placing her feet into the cold water, looking out onto the greenery they passed.

"Tommy- Tommy- Tommy has he given you the ring yet miss Bethany?" Curly asked, glancing down at the blonde girl who sat beside his feet. "Yes." Beth lied glancing up at Curly a small smile on her face. "Tommy says it's a nice wedding right, eh?" Beth's eyes widened as she looked away from Curly back down at the water, a smile beginning to grow on her face.

"It's a very nice wedding ring indeed Curly."