t w e n t y • f o u r

ミ★
twenty-four
❝misleading fires❞
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

ミ★ twenty-four❝misleading fires❞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Although Jungkook is anxiously waiting beside me for Taehyung to approach us, I cannot fight the glimmer of excitement I feel at the sight of my boyfriend's harsh eyes and tense stature.

He isn't happy, but that is a severe understatement. His fluffy hair blows carelessly in the cold wind with each stride he makes to cross the street, his suit jacket's tail moving against his lean frame as his shoes hit the pavement. His attire today is not any different than his usual working wear, but right now the adrenaline from the meeting has sparked new feelings at the sight of those long black slacks and fitted dress shirt.

I don't break eye contact with him for the majority of his walk. I'm biting a knowing smirk, but I don't know where it is fueling from. I'm standing here, on the corner, half dressed, but nothing in my head is telling me to cower down in embarrassment nor timidness. My arms don't reach around my chest, and I don't cross my legs.

"Professor," Jungkook's voice is mildly out of character for him; he deepens his voice in fear, but nevertheless trying to seem confident. My friend is evidently attempting to pretend he doesn't know about our relationship when he asks, cluelessly, "what can we do for you?"

Taehyung is staring at me and has yet to acknowledge Jungkook. Although I am also not looking at Jungkook, I feel his anxiousness. It grows silent as we wait for Taehyung to respond; I think he is waiting for me to speak up first. I don't. I don't want to clue Jungkook in and tell him my boyfriend already knows that he is aware of our relationship.

I'm too curious where the conversation will lead without me. I want to see what Taehyung will do.

The secrecy of our relationship is being tested. It gives me a strange sense of power; the fact that I have indirectly put Taehyung in this position. As his hard eyes stare into mine, I can't help but see the softness behind them. He is unsure of what to do, but as seconds pass by, and our mental communication continues, he blinks away from me, and looks at Jungkook.

His stare is nothing I've seen before. If we weren't in public right now, it seems as though Taehyung would reach forward and do something harmful to Jungkook. Thankfully, they keep distance; however, this distance doesn't protect Jungkook from the poignant dig of the intent behind his eyes.

"What you can do for me," Taehyung speaks lowly, "is tell me why you are on a fūcking street corner with my half-naked girlfriend at 5am."

He said it. My insides turn.

Taehyung's eyes don't meet mine again as his attention has turned solely to Jungkook. My smirk turns into a smile. For some reason, just now at this very second, after hearing the words fall from his lips, I feel validated. Our relationship from late August to now late October suddenly feels etched into me. . . part of me. It has surfaced. It's real. It's being acknowledged outside the premise of my own mind and personal time.