23. Falling into You

You flip through the files lying on the table in front of you, trying to pass the time

You flip through the files lying on the table in front of you, trying to pass the time. The team had left twenty minutes ago to get the unsub, Hotch asking JJ to stay behind with you. No gun = no going out into the field. Groaning, you look up at the clock on the gray police station wall.

"You're worried," JJ says, sliding into the chair next to you.

You look at her, a small smile on your face. "I think I'm mostly antsy. I wish I could have gone." Your smile turns apologetic. "I'm sorry you had to stay behind and babysit me."

JJ laughs, the sound ringing out around you like a bell. "It's alright, I'm not mad about it. Sometimes I'd rather not go into the field anyway. Plus, I have a son, so I'm used to 'babysitting', as you call it."

You nod, biting down on your bottom lip. "I can't go into the field if Spencer's going, anyway. It's too risky."

JJ lets out a small hum. "He'd take a bullet for you, you know."

You smile, glancing back down at the table, fingers fidgeting with your pants. "I know. That's the problem—I'd do the exact same for him."

"You kinda already have." She gestures to your thigh and you laugh. "Something's bothering you, though, I can tell."

You shift in your seat, sighing. "I'm thinking of asking if I can move in with Spencer. Is that weird? Too forward? Usually the guy asks the girl, right?"

JJ shakes her head. "I actually can't believe he hasn't asked you yet. You guys already practically live together, don't you?"

You stand, walking around the table. "Yeah, practically. I guess I'm just worried he'll say no."

JJ gets up and walks over to you, putting her hands on your shoulders. "Listen. That boy is crazy about you." She smiles, squeezing your shoulders softly. "I've seen the way he looks at you—you're his entire universe. He'll want you to move in with him, no doubt."

You can't help the stupid grin that crosses your face. "Thanks, JJ."

"I got your back," she says, squeezing your shoulders once more before she releases you.

JJ's phone rings and she presses it to her ear. "Hello?" Listening for a minute, a smile breaks out on her face. "That's good. See you guys in a minute." She pushes her phone in her pocket and looks at you. "They got him."

You exhale slowly, relief washing over you. "Thank god."

You sit back down at the table, playing some stupid game on your phone until you hear the police station doors open. You immediately stand, looking at the faces of your colleagues and friends as they file through the door. Two local officers are guiding the unsub inside, a young attractive man with a sinister smirk on his face. He meets you eyes, the smirk growing wider. You hold his gaze, unwavering, trying not to show fear as he's ushered away. You find Spencer's face; it lights up when he sees you, walking over to you quickly. His fingers brush your cheek softly and you close your eyes, a small smile playing on your lips.