Chapter 3. Dinner With The Lord

"It was spectacular, Aunt Caroline!" Olivia enthused.

Her aunt was sitting on a chair sewing as Olivia washed the dishes from their dinner.

"You don't even know his name, Olivia." She chuckled as she pulled the thread.

"But he was so kind, and he didn't even seem to care that I was a human!"

"Hush child, finish your work so you can go to bed" Her aunt nagged.

After finishing the dishes Olivia wiped her hands on a cloth and walked upstairs to her bedroom. When she left her aunt thought of their conversation.

Olivia did say he was a nobleman, after all, she was now 18 and needed to find a suitor to marry. Her brother was successful and was living in the castle working for the Lord himself, if Olivia married a wealthy man she would surely be as happy as her brother.

The girl now lay on her small bed as she looked up at the ceiling. She smiled and giggled at herself like a lunatic as she recalled the night. She couldn't stop thinking about him, especially his words.

"We shall meet again soon."

She would do anything to see him again and to get to know who the man was behind the mask. She slowly fell into a deep slumber, as she repeated his words in her head.

***

Olivia was awoken by the sunlight that had peaked through her bedroom window and past her translucent curtains. She groaned as she got up. After she had freshened up, she walked downstairs to see her aunt holding a letter.

"What is that Aunt Caroline?" Olivia yawned.

"I think you better read it" She responded as she handed the letter to Olivia "It's for you."

She creased her eyebrows. A letter for her? She seldom got any letters.

She held the letter in her hand, it was handwritten with ink and came in an envelope sealed with red wax. Since her aunt had already opened it, she began reading.

My dear Sister,

It appears that The Lord himself has invited you for dinner at his castle tonight. I along with other guests will be attending. Although I am unsure of his intentions, I can assure you they're good. I look forward to seeing you again so soon.

Your brother, Anthony

"I don't understand." Olivia whispered to herself.

She re-read the letter several times to make sure her eyes weren't playing tricks on her.

"Me neither." Her aunt commented, "I thought you said The Lord was not present at the ball?"

"And I was right" Olivia retorted, "Anthony told me, and even if he did I have never met The Lord personally so why would he invite me?"

She began to fret, she felt hot and sweaty as her breathing became rapid. Why would The Lord, a pureblooded vampire, want anything to do with me? she said in her mind. Had she done something at the ball to offend him? Was he inviting her to kill her?

"Relax child, Anthony said he had good intentions therefore you should trust him, your brother would never put you in danger." Her aunt comforted her as she rubbed her hand on Olivia's back.

"I've heard the terrible things The Lord has done Aunt Caroline." Olivia whimpered as she sat on a chair. "How he once cut a mans tongue simply for talking ba-"

"Hush Olivia." Her aunt interrupted. "Do not speak of such a gruesome topic, especially before breakfast. As long as you are respectful and do not speak out of line then you will be completely fine."