Chapter 26

Before I could stop myself, I had rushed over to the alarm button and pushed it. A loud blaring sound echoed throughout the jet and everyone gasped.

"Cassidy" Warren rushed over to me, completely forgetting that he was in the middle of an argument "What's going on?"

"Listen to me" I turned to the whole team "Someone's attacking our jet and we're going down fast"

"What are we going to do?" Jubilee said, sheer panic in her voice

"Kurt and Warren can each take one person to safety, but the rest of us will have to jump" I explained

"Are you crazy?!" Peter yelled over the blaring alarm

"Cassidy's right" Jean said, standing up "Once the jet gets low enough we have to jump and barrel roll when we hit the ground."

"I suggest Kurt takes Peter, he's only going to make this more difficult" Scott sent a glare Peter's way

A loud bang sounded as something big hit the jet, causing it to tilt sideways. Everyone who was standing lost their footing and tumbled into the opposite wall. Luckily, Warren propped himself up using one arm right before he could crash into me. He was hovering inches above my face, breathing heavily.

"Whatever, I'm getting the hell out of here" Peter shook his head as he grabbed onto Kurts arm "Everyone, be careful"

In a whoosh, Kurt had safely teleported both him and Peter to the ground. I turned and noticed Jubilee was nervously clutching the seat with a look of terror on her face.

"Warren" I started, his face still inches away from mine "I need you to fly Jubilee down"

Warren aggressively shook his head, "No, Cassidy I'm not leaving without you"

"I'll be fine, I've done this before. Jubilee looks absolutely terrified, she has to get out of here as soon as possible. I can do this just, please let me-"

"No, I'm not going to lose you again," Warren said firmly

"Do you trust me?" I asked, thinking back to our first practice mission where we had to retrieve the gem

Warren nodded, closed his eyes and furrowed his brows as if he knew what was coming.

"Good" I replied, shoving him away from me and towards Jubilee

Warren roughly grabbed Jubilee's hand and pulled her towards the exit. He threw open the jet door, spreading his metal wings out as he prepared to fly. 

"W-wait, are you sure this is-" Jubilee stuttered

"Yes" Warren cut her off 

He gave me one last glance and I smiled reassuringly. I knew that I could do this, he had no reason to be worried. Jubilee squeezed her eyes shut and started to say something. However, Warren didn't let her finish once again as he jumped out of the jet. I saw his metal wings flapping as he lowered both him and Jubilee safely to the ground.

Scott, Jean and I all looked at eachother with determination on our faces.

"You two go first" I said as everyone made their way towards the open door "There will be a harder impact the lower we go"

"You're sure?" Jean asked, grabbing my hand and giving it a squeeze

"Yes" I said, my voice full of confidence "Now go, we don't have much time left"

Jean then backed up a few steps before jumping out of the jet. I didn't have time to see if she had landed safely before Scott did the same. Now I was alone on the jet, the wind furiously whipping my hair. I heard another loud bang come from the other side of the jet and knew I was out of time.
I got a running start and then threw myself out of the jet. My hair flew upward and I felt the wind all around me. I saw the ground approaching quickly and tucked my feet under me, right as I felt concrete beneath them. I successfully rolled, only managing to get a few scrapes on my arm. As I jumped up, I saw our jet, now in flames, crashing to the ground about a dozen feet away.