Chapter 34

-------------------> UNFORTUNATELY, ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END

And for Lyra, her stress levels kindly reached their maximum limit four days after her birthday, in the form of the mid-weekly session of the Wizengamot that was held every Wednesday.

Like always, after returning home from the Wizengamot, Lord Arcturus of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black made it a point to inform and discuss all the proceedings conducted (no matter how important or insignificant) with anybody interested.

However, the people-who-were-interest list was smaller than Lyra's new runespoor (named Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos after the three fates since she learnt that the snake was female after having a rather awkward conversation with them) and consisted of Orion (because it was obligatory to his role as Heir Apparent), Lyra (which was also mandatory due to her role of Queen), Pollux (who had to know the new laws and policies of the Wizengamot due to his legal business) and Melania (who felt bad for her husband and did it out of pity).

When Arcturus entered his office where the above four people had been waiting for him patiently, he wore an uncharacteristically serious expression on his face and his eyes were murderous.

The other occupants of the room shared a glance, immediately sensing something wrong. They calmly waited until their Head of House had removed his plum-coloured Wizengamot coat, drank a cup of tea, seated himself and was prepared to share the news.

"This is the new law that is currently being pushed," He told them simply, duplicating his copy and passing it so that each of the four people had their very own document to read.

Pollux put on his reading glasses. "Which faction?"

"The light," Arcturus spat.

"I already know that this isn't going to be good then," Orion muttered under his breath as he began reading.

Lyra was the first out of them to finish reading, after which she looked at her grandfather with wide eyes. "Are they being serious?"

"No, they're being idiots." Arcturus corrected and despite his scowl, looked at his granddaughter with a proud, approving smile. "I see you noticed the loophole."

"How can I not grandfather, considering it's glaring at my face and is as subtle as a bombarda maxima," Lyra replied, still in shock.

"If only people like you replace some of the lesser mentally inclined people at the Wizengamot." Arcturus mused sadly. "Oh, how lovely the world would have been."

Melania was the next to finish reading, and her eyes too widened considerably. "WHAT THE SHIT-" She realised that her granddaughter was in the room. "-AKI MUSHROOMS!" She finished, before turning to her husband. "Archie, they can't be serious!"

"Like I told Lyra, dear, Sirius happens to be very intelligent. The people who proposed this law, however, are not. So it would be wrong to compare the two." Arcturus replied dryly.