Chapter 24

"Ask Ebere to see me now." Michael said to Chika.

She nodded and left the dinning.
He couldn't get any atom of sleep the previous night.
What Claire had told him rang in his head throughout.
Was Ebere truly pregnant for him? If positive, then he was ruined for life, the name he had made for himself in the business world would be ruined, his career, what would Chief say?
His phone rang and he picked it, speak of the devil;

"Good morning dad." Michael greeted.

"Have you seen the news this morning? What is wrong with Claire?"

"No sir. I've not seen the news but......."

"Just when I thought you two have gotten what you needed most in life, she's financially stable and you're still alive so tell me what she's looking for in another man."

"Sir?"

"I'll call back in an hour and I want her on the line by then." Chief ordered.

"Ye.....yes sir."

Chief terminated the call.
What news was that? He quickly went to his browser.

***********
"He's looking for me?" Ebere's heart did a quick flip.

"Yes, you. And before you start thinking that he's in the room, he's not. His new wife is still in bed." Chika teased.

Ebere frowned.
"Why are you teasing me now? Do you think that with the recent happenings, I'll still allow him to touch me? My life is very important to me please."

"Finally, you've started to think with your brain. Hurry, go and answer him."

"But what do you think the problem might be? You served him breakfast so why does he need me?"

"Maybe your tea tastes better or maybe he wants to fire you."

"Chika!"

"Yes. Excuse me please."

Ebere looked her over before exiting the room.

*********
This wasn't happening. Pictures of Claire and the barrister were trending  with different headlines;
1- Face of jiji gets a new mate.
2- Has the new face of jiji found warmth in the arms of another man?
3- Married ambassador of jiji frolics with a new catch
4- Disgrace to womanhood; married woman goes nude for her new lover.
There were different topics that had both of them in it.

He cursed audibly. This wasn't what he planned for when he said he wanted a divorce.
Now, his entire life would be on the internet.

"Sir, you sent for me." Ebere interrupted his thoughts.

He looked at her closely. It was the second time he was seeing her since he returned.
She looked different, like someone who's afraid of something.
She no longer had that courage in her eyes. That means that it was true. She was pregnant.

"Why did you tell Claire instead of me? Why didn't you tell me first? We would have done something about it."

"About what?" Amara asked, coming into the dining.

*********
Claire tossed on the bed, her phone has been ringing and she was too sleepy to wake up. She had found it hard going to bed the previous night. She had thought of so many things and in the end, she realised that she was never at fault in all if it, except not knowing that she was pregnant. That was her only fault.

She picked the phone from the lamp stand and there were nine missed calls, all from Phil.

She tried to call back but another call started coming in.
CHANTAL.