35) Their Patience

Double update because 💞Valentine's Day💞 is coming up, and I'd like to post a little romance even though I'll be stuck at my desk writing essays for my college classes! 🥲 Anyway, happy reading 📖!

"How is it that they still have things to talk about?" Stefanie munched on an apple as she stared soullessly at some family members that were chatting their mouths off.

"I wonder that too." Fransisco stared at the people in more amazement than anything. "Even I spend a day or so where I don't even know what to say to Erica."

Erica only looked at Fransisco in a panned and unamused way before returning her attention to her giddy baby. Melissa had become much more social and talkative since staying in Spain, but her parents guessed that since she had been exposed to much more family, she was bound to talk more and catch onto more conversations now.

"You'll be happy she can talk more now, but just you wait..." Stefanie had grumbled as she passed by the loud toddler when her parents were praising her pronunciation.

Meanwhile, Ella had been packing up for their flight back that would take place tomorrow at dusk. Luckily for her, Damien had proven to be very neat and tidy so she didn't even need to worry about his luggage. Now it was just hers that was left to pack and load onto their vehicle.

"Ella," Elizabeth knocked on the bedroom door slightly, warning her of her presence.

"Come in." Ella continued folding some of her sweaters, packing the freshly washed clothing neatly.

"Oh," Elizabeth entered, peeking around the room. "I thought Damien was in here."

"He's downstairs with Papá," Ella shook her head. For some reason, Damien and her dad had really gotten along well, and their time together these past few weeks only enforced that.

"I don't know what Theo is going to do once Damien leaves. We might end up moving there." Elizabeth laughed, and so did Ella, but her mom wasn't completely kidding.

Elizabeth had already given it some serious thought, and she really thought that it might be for the best. Her children were already forming their own families over there, and she didn't want to be so separated from them. Melissa was growing at a rapid pace, and something told her that it wouldn't take Ella and Damien long to also have a child.

"I just came to relay a message," Elizabeth sighed, sitting down on the corner of Ella's bed, her hands immediately busying themselves by rubbing the duvet free of wrinkles. "Diego is downstairs. He wants to see you."

Ella slowed her movements.

"Did he say anything?"

Elizabeth shook her head, grabbing some garments and folding them to help pack as well. "I think he found out about the engagement."

Ella felt a tiny, minuscule headache forming. That might've just been because she was recovering from a cold, though.

"I'll go." Ella placed one last pair of pants inside before leaving. She had calmly thrown on her coat before stepping outside to the front yard where Diego was already standing. "Hey," she alerted him of her presence.

"Hey, how are you?" Diego leaned in for a hug, noticing how Ella tensed up a bit. It wasn't enough to show that she was super uncomfortable, but it was enough to show Diego that things had changed.

"Mamá said you had something to say to me." Ella shoved her hands deeper in her pockets, trying to fight off the cold shivers.

"I..." Diego trailed off, just quietly admiring her beauty. Ella was downright gorgeous during the day, but once night hit, she always seemed to get hit with a majestic, almost royal and dark beauty. He figured it was due to her dark hair and fair skin.