FOOLS GOLD | JJ MAYBANK

After I finish eating completely alone in the kitchen of my home, I did the dishes and fed Simba, my cat. He was a birthday present from JJ who was also the one who chose the name, and I have to admit that I love it.

Mum was on a trip visiting my grandma who was found very sick and needed help at her house. It has already been over a week since she left and i don't really expect her back in a few more.

As i was opening the freezer to take out the ice cream i had bought today, a sudden but still gentle knock on the front door took me by surprise. I placed the cold plastic box on the kitchen table and walked to the door while they continued to knock.

I slowly opened the door so i could see who was behind it, when i saw my best friend's face i smiled and let him come inside my house.

- "hey Olivia" he said as he stepped inside.

- "hey" i closed the door "what are you doing here? did something happened at home?" i asked fully knowing that he had got into a fight with his dad again, his back was facing my face.

- "the usual" he said as he turned and looked me in the eyes, i just stood there, hands on my waist as i looked at him "what" he smiled.

- "what was it this time?" i went to the kitchen and took two spoons so we both could have some ice cream.

- "I don't even know OI" i smiled at his weird nickname and came out of the kitchen to find him sitting down at the couch and i did the same, "anyways, can i crash here tonight? by the way, where's Simba?" he turned the tv on.

- "he went to my room after i fed him" i gave him one of the spoons and he smiled at me as a thank you, "and of course you can crash here, stay how long you want to".

- "thank you" he opened the ice cream box "when's your mum coming back? i miss her" he took some ice cream with the spoon and took it to his mouth.

-"i miss her too" i copied his actions "i wish i knew, i haven't talked to her in like two days, signal has been pretty shitty in the island lately" i licked my lips that tasted as cookies due to the exquisite ice cream, "grandma is really sick, at this point we are just waiting".

- "for what?" he asked as he looked at me.

- "for her to die, i guess" my voice cracked a little as i said that and he noticed, JJ took the ice cream box and put it on the little table besides the couch.

I looked at him as he came closer to me and hugged me tightly, i hugged him back.

- "I'm ok, i promise" i said while we broke the hug, he started searching in my eyes any sign of tears, but there were none, "you know i never really got to know her, she never liked mum moving here with my dad".

-"i know, you told me the story" he just kept staring at me.

- "stop staring at me, it makes me uncomfortable" i nervously laughed and turn away.

- "i make you uncomfortable?" he asked.

- "no, your firmly stare does" i glanced at him, he hadn't stop looking at me yet.

- "'firmly stare? all those books you've read make you talk weird" he scrunched his nose.

- "they don't, you're the one who doesn't talk properly" now i was looking at him.

- "stop firmly looking at me you make me uncomfortable" he joked and i just blanked my eyes at him and pulled out my middle finger.

- "suck my ass" i said.

- "look at you! so sassy suddenly!" he laughed and i just ignored him "c'mon don't ignore me" i didn't even glance at him "i see how it goes".

I thought he had give up but i found out i was wrong when he started tickling me.

- "you bitch!" i said between little laughs "stop" but he didn't "JJ STOP" he just kept tickling "i fucking hate you" there was when he stopped.

- "no you don't" he stated, looking kinda offended.

- "yes i do" i said while i stared at him, his face went completely neutral.

- "you know? that's a pity" he crossed his arms and his muscles tensed under his white short sleeve t-shirt.

- "why?" i asked being actually intrigued by it.

- "because i love you" he said and looked deep into my eyes.

- "i love you too JJ, you know that! i was just joking so you would stop tickling me" i giggled a little.

- "no, not like that" he bit his bottom lip and looked down.

- "what do you mean?" i tried to make him look at me again but he kept avoiding eye contact.

- "i really love you" part of me knew what he was talking about but the other part couldn't actually believe it "i am in love with you" he finally looked at me, waiting for an answer i couldn't give because i was shocked, "great, i've ruined everything" he said as he ran his hands through his hair and got up, i just kept looking at him, "i should get going".

He was already walking towards the door when it hit me. I got up and ran the few meters between us and turned him by his arm once i reached the door.

I was staring at his lips as i tried to talk but couldn't manage to say a single word. So i kissed him, he responded almost instantly and placed his hands on both my cheeks as i did in the back of his neck. After a few seconds we pulled away and he pressed his forehead against mine.

- "you don't have an idea of how long I've been waiting for this" he said with his eyes still closed.

- "me too" i answered while i gently placed my left hand on his jaw, he smiled to that.

- "i just-" he stopped mid sentence "i just know how afraid you're of relationships of any kind" he opened his eyes and looked into mine, "and to be honest i do too, i don't commit to stuff and you know that".

- "of course i do" i smiled trying to calm him.

- "I don't want to hurt you Ol, as well as i don't want you to hurt me".

- "JJ, i can play the tough part sometimes but you know I wouldn't hurt a bug, even less you".

- "i could still hurt you and i would never forgive myself if that happens".

- "let's sit down" i grabbed his hand and we sat down together on the couch again, "listen, i don't have any memories of which you're not in, I've known you for God knows how long and I've been in love with you for a few years now, i know every little secret about you, or at least i like to think i do" we both laughed, "what i'm trying to say is that there's no fucking way-" he interrupted me.

- "stop cursing you little kid" he pointed a finger at me.

- "alright, what i was trying to say is that there's no way, there's literally nothing you can do that would make me hate you or at least want to" he laid down on the couch, positioning his head on my legs.

- "there's nothing you could do to make me hate you either" he looked at me with one eye while he scrunched the other one and smiled, "am i still able to stay here?"

- "of course you're you fool bitch" he got up from my lap and grabbed my face with his hands.

-"i told you to stop cursing!" he laughed.

- "why don't you want me to curse?!" i asked as i giggled.

- "because it makes me want to kiss you".

- "and who says you can't?" he smiled at my answer and kissed me again.