31 | relics

CHAPTER 31,

RELICS

"There he is

"There he is. The humility. The grace."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

INDIANA STANDS IN the middle of her house with the boys, the five of them staring up at the ceiling where the giant burn mark is. The centre of it is the darkest of black while the lines coming off of it fade into a grey colour.

"That's how he got in?" Corey questions.

"What is it?" Liam asks.

"It's a point of impact from a lightning strike." Indiana replies.

"Usually you'd find charred spots like that on the ground after a violent thunderstorm." Mason adds.

"That's how the Ghost Rider got in. He rode the lightning." Scott tells them.

"If they can use lightning to get past he mountain ash then no place is safe." Liam states.

"What about the people from the party?" Indiana asks, mainly directing it to her brother.

"It's my fault that they're marked." Corey mumbles, guilt laced in his voice.

"We'll find a way to protect them. All of them." Scott reassures.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

Indiana sits in the school library with Liam and Mason, her bag resting on the table as she hugs it to use as a pillow.

"The k-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field." Indiana reads from the book in front of her boyfriend.

"What's a 'k-index?'" Liam asks.

"It's a scale that meteorologists use to measure thunderstorm activity. So, a k-index value less than 20 means no activity and above 35 is severe." Mason explains.

"How bad is severe?" Liam asks.

"Well, the average storm has about 1,000 lightning strikes and in the past three months, the average storm in Beacon Hills had 5,000." Mason informs.

"What's it reading now?" Indiana asks.

"Fourteen. We're clear." Mason replies

"If a spike in the k-index means more lightning then we can tell if they're coming." Liam states.

Then laptop suddenly begins beeping as the numbers rapidly rise higher than fourteen. Mason groans in annoyance before shutting the laptop, turning to face his two best friends.