Car doors and Tears

Cover credits go to Emily_Mccollor

Lilah

"How long is it going to take before you tell me who gave you that bruise?" Finn asked as we scraped the gum off of the water fountain.

"How many times do I have to tell you that no one hurt me?" I replied. Always answer a question you don't want to answer, with another question.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I know your lying?" He asked, obviously figuring out my technique.

"When will you-"

"Please just tell me, Lilah. Stop avoiding it." A piece of gum fell on my arm and I quickly flicked it off. I knew he did that in purpose. My accusation proved correct, when I looked up and he was smirking at me.

"Fine. Maybe someone did this to me, but it isn't your business. Just leave me alone about it, I don't want you involved." I snapped.

He dropped his scraper and turned towards me. A pained look on his face.

"Lilah? Are you okay? This is serious. You need to tell someone." He rambled grabbing the scraper from my hand and setting it down on the floor.

"I'm telling you." I said, crossing my arms.

"That's not enough." He shook his head.

"Don't worry about it. It was a one time thing and it won't happen again." I tried to bend down and pick up my scraper but he wouldn't let me.

"I don't care. It's still something that should be looked into." He was frustrated now.

"Aren't we supposed to be scraping gum?" I picked up my scraper and started working again.

"Lilah, please ju-"

"Why do you even care?" I snapped again, by now I was holding back tears. I don't know why this is making me want to cry.

Finn noticed and once again took the scraper out of my hand, hugging me right away.

"Lilah, please don't cry." He whispered, rubbing his hand on my back, as I started to sob.

"It's my dad. He's always been a little stand offish towards me but its never gone this far." I don't know why I decided to tell him that. Maybe it was the way he held me. It made me feel like I could trust him.

He hugged me tighter as my tears continued to fall, soaking his shirt. He didn't seem to care.

"Delilah, are you alright? Do you need to go to the counselor?" Mr. Carter's voice rang through the halls.

"No, she doesn't. I've got her." I heard Finn say he stopped hugging me, keeping one of his arms still around my waist.

"I would like Ms. Bridges to answer that question, not you." Mr. Carter shot, coldly.

"I don't know if you can tell, but she isn't really in the right state to answer questions right now." Finn argued, standing straighter.

"Finn, stop. I can talk for myself." My voice suprised him, and he nodded looking at the ceiling. "I don't need the counselor, Mr. Carter."

"Okay. Well, lunch time is almost over, so you guys can go into the classroom and eat your lunches now." He instructed and walked off.

"Lilah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have answered for you." Finn apologized once Mr. Carter was gone.

"It's fine." I picked up the bucket and he grabbed our scrapers then we walked back to the classroom. I wiped the tears off my face.

~~~~~~
"Lilah, are you okay?" Isaac asked me, as we were rehearsing our lines.