20

3rd person p.o.v

Tick. Tick. Tick

The clock said as it counted each second.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Went the heart monitor after every beat of Katherine Hughes' heart.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound that was made each time Chris Evans' foot touched the ground.

Is it ever going to end? Thought Chris, his head laid in his hands, his eyes trying desperately to close, to find some semblance of rest, of sleep. 

Drip. Drip. Drip

Plunked each drop of the five IVs that were simultaneously giving Kitty the nutrients she needed.

It had been a week since Chris was given the news that would change his life no matter which way events played out. In those five days, Chris had not slept more than a few hours, his system running on whatever fumes he could gather from the multiple cups of coffee he consumed, a substance that he didn't even like. Jaylee had been staying at Lisa's, as had Dodger and Stitch. Somebody brought her everyday to visit Chris, to visit her mom. 

Visiting solely for her mom would've have been silly though since they kept her in a medically induced coma all the time. Chris seethed at the memory of the doctors pushing him away from her the one time they'd woken her up. He wasn't even allowed to tell her he loved her. He'd been forced out of the room so they could run tests on her and when he'd gotten back she was asleep again. Needless to say, he wasn't very cooperative with the staff anymore. If they were running tests, he was staying.

The only good thing Chris had felt came from this whole thing was getting to see his children. The nurse came in to do a checkup and he got to watch the ultrasound. Needless to say, he'd cried harder than any baby he'd ever heard of, especially when he thought of having to lose them before he ever really got to have them. Would they never know the warmth of being held in someone's arms? Would Chris never know the warmth of holding them in his arms? 

He tried to never dwell on such thoughts as those for too long, seeing as they never put him in a good head space. 

Katherine was oblivious to the world, though she was living in her own. A much happier one.

*Kitty's dream world* (A/N- Katherine is the one who lives in the dream, Kitty is the one in a coma observing the dream. Hopefully that will make more sense in a moment.)

"Chris, can you get my purse? I have to go check to make sure Jay is dressed." Katherine yelled down the stairs of a house Kitty  didn't recognize. Is that really what I look like? Kitty wondered as she followed who she presumed was herself down a hall of this massive house.

"Yeah, sure. Where is it?" Chris shouted back. Chris! Kitty ran down the stairs, chasing the voice of the man who would always be familiar to her, in turn, chasing familiarity. She jogged through hallway after hallway, eventually finding the broad shoulders and slim waist she'd recognize anywhere.

"Chris!" Kitty exclaimed to get his attention, but it didn't work. Chris didn't turn around, he didn't even make a move to suggest he'd heard her at all. "Chris?"

"Kat, where the hell is it? I can't find it." He turned around quickly, and Kitty smiled in anticipation for him to say something to her. Or better yet, hug her. She could really use a Chris hug right about now, everything that was going on was leaving her disoriented. She never received a hug though, in fact, Chris seemed to be looking right through her. Kitty waved her hand in front of his face to test it, and sure enough, Chris didn't even blink. He can't see me.