1: Summoning A Hero, Getting Three At Half The Price

+++

The King of Pheoles glanced anxiously at the magicians and priests gathered in the castle courtyard as he paced back and forth with impatience.

His heart was filled with worry since it had been over five hundred years since the last summoning of a Hero to fend against the darkness. He was concerned about whether or not it would succeed and would give them another Hero that was worthy to uphold the honor of the Kingdom of Light—Pheoles.

"Your Majesty," a young-looking handsome man with a gentle appearance assured. "Our priests and magicians are determined to get rid of the darkness in the continent." His silver eyes were filled with an unshakable strength. "The Church of Light will make sure to guide the summoned Hero onto the path of good."

If anyone else was making this promise, then the king wouldn't have believed them. However, this was the Pope of the Church of Light, the man with the most authority and the being on the Elubarith Continent that was closest to their God.

The king didn't have a chance to respond because a priest had quickly ushered them to wait since they completed the summoning circle. "Your Holiness, Your Majesty, we are ready for our Hero."

The Pope nodded and both the king and him sat down far away from the summoning circle in case something went wrong.

The magicians raised their staves and the priests raised their hands and muttered words that were incoherent to the king. Their summoning chant had lasted for a few minutes before they exploded with their last sentence: "Come forth to our world!"

A chilly air whirled inside the courtyard and a burst of magical energy erupted from the circle. All of the people surrounding the circle were flung back and the guards stood in front of their king in a protective stance against the burst of power.

The Pope's face was as calm as the sea throughout the entire process but slight horror appeared on his face when he sensed that the summoning had gone wrong. Even though he was still able to sense the light magic from the circle, there was the odd feeling that there was a third party involved and strange magic that he couldn't discern. He was already over two hundred years old and had met with all of the races in both realms, but this was the first time that he felt this kind of magic.

Although he wasn't present for the previous Hero summoning, from the records, it didn't release as much magic as this one. The circle gave an aura of good, bad, and even a balance of neutrality.

As though the previous magic that had been released was just a teaser, more magic erupted and the air was frenzy with mana. The Pope and everyone else have shut their eyes and before he could open his mouth to utter that they should all escape, smoke discharged from the circle. As the smoke began to dissipate, the Pope and everyone else opened their eyes in shock. Within their sight, there were three collapsed figures lying on the dimmed summoning circle.

The summoned 'Hero' was now 'Heroes'.

The summoned Heroes were all females.

The summoned females were all of different appearances, all had different clothing and all were far from what popped into the mind for peerless heroes. Even though the previous Hero summoned five hundred years ago was also dressed oddly, these three dressed especially weird.

They looked to be rather weak.

The first girl to wake up had black, long hair and a pair of green jade-colored eyes. A groan of pain escaped from her lips, her face was pale and her eyes shook as she sucked in air. It was as if she had been deprived of oxygen for some time. Blinking a few more times, she eventually pushed herself up from the ground and lifted her head up to survey her surroundings. What entered her eyes was a crowd of people whom she didn't recognize, but what shocked her more was the clothing they wore; it wasn't remotely near the style of ancient Chinese outfits that she was used to.