6: Getting a Scared Bunny to Trust You

•+•

Still bewildered about everything that occurred, Lexie absentmindedly followed the maids to their quarter in the castle. As her brown eyes wandered and took in the details, she was reminded that this was real. She had somehow been summoned to an alternate dimension? She still wasn't sure how to process it, nor knew exactly what was happening since the Pope mentioned angels and demons and such.

'Kinda wish I was into that anime stuff or whatever. But doesn't this stuff usually happen to someone with some knowledge in the background? Those two other girls didn't mind too much and meanwhile there's me... a clueless rabbit thrown in the lion's den!'

Lexie sighed at her thoughts as the maids in front of them suddenly stopped. She watched the other two girls follow the maids assigned to them and looked at the only remaining maid. With ocean blue hair and seafoam-colored eyes, she looked adorably exotic. If this was her old world, Lexie would've assumed that it was all hair dye and possibly colored contacts, but in a world filled with magic, unique physical features weren't impossible.

However, the thing that shocked her the most was the maid shivering and her seafoam eyes filled with fear.

"M-Miss Hero, I am here to help you with anything you need."

"What is your name?" Lexie asked cautiously. Earlier, she had thought that she was a rabbit. But the maid in front of her was squeaking like a cowering mouse! Lexie didn't think she was scary nor intimidating, but she remembered her clothes were not only otherworldly to these people but also stained with blood. Not to mention that she still had the identity of a 'Hero' glued to her head.

"M-My name is M-Marielle, Miss Hero." Lexie smiled at the cute name. It suited the cute and short girl in front of her.

"Marielle, could you please get me to somewhere where I can bathe?" Lexie was exhausted but her tone was extra gentle. She didn't want to scare away the little mouse. She was covered in blood and the filth was finally processing in her mind. She assumed the little maid was frightened because of her identity as a 'Hero' but it didn't seem to be the case. The fear in her eyes wasn't a recent fear and seemed like a traumatic fear.

Lexie wondered what happened to make this pretty and young girl suffer so much.

"Ah, y-yes. Miss Hero, I a-apologize for not doing it before. I'll draw you a bath i-immediately." She scurried quickly to prepare Lexie's bath.

Lexie offered to help but color drained from Marielle's face at the suggestion and Lexie realized that there was a status hierarchy in this world and currently, she was higher in status than Marielle who was a maid. It made Lexie uncomfortable as it reminded her of the rich and poor in her original life. Because she wasn't as wealthy as Richard nor had a 'status' appropriate for the heir, their marriage was never in the open and she was always regarded as a mistress.

The nightmares of everything that happened with Richard were like fresh wounds that pierced her heart.

Her train of thoughts was interrupted when Marielle told her that her bath was ready. Lexie blinked and stripped off her hospital gown, placing her hand gently on her stomach. She sat in the tub and she felt her eyes sting from unshed tears; however, her stubbornness didn't allow them to fall. She gripped the tub firmly to steady herself, physically and mentally.

A small glimmer in her heart hoped that everything was just a terrible dream and she would wake up without any of this happening, starting from the news of his engagement. But the sharp pain in her palms was a brutal reminder that this was her reality now.

She suddenly felt a gentle but steady hand brushing her hair in a way to... comfort her? She turned her eyes and noticed Marielle avoiding her gaze.