Chapter 13

George hated that his eyes were on Dream. 

His friend was busy talking to the other lead players as they continued to walk, presumably something regarding the fortress and their journey there, but George couldn't help but notice the stares he continuously got from the players. 

He could see from the corner of his eye, people whispering as they pointed at him, with scowls plastered on their faces. 

And for some reason George was absolutely appalled by it.

"George, you seem to be looking at Dream a lot lately." Sapnap teased. 

And George stumbled back, hiding his blush as Bad and Sapnap laughed at him. "I'm not looking at him." He argued. "I'm looking at the people looking at him."

Sapnap raised an eyebrow, clearly doubting him. "Of course you are." 

The Brit rolled his eyes, feigning a dramatic pout. 

"To be fair, I do see a bunch of weird muffins staring at Dream weirdly." Bad added, catching George's attention. 

So he wasn't just hallucinating.

"Yeah I did too, I asked him about it, but he said it was nothing."

Bad frowned, looking at Sapnap. "Do you know why?" He asked. 

For a second it looked like he wasn't going to respond, and like he was going to shrug them off just like Dream did before George spoke. 

"What exactly did Dream do?"

But he regretted the question immediately as Sapnap clenched his fists looking away from them. 

When he faced George again it was with a forced smile, one so filled with anger it was almost impossible not to see through. 

"That's the thing." He said, his voice laced with irritation. "Absolutely nothing."

George's eyes lit up in confusion, nearly stopping in his tracks. 

"Wait, if its nothing then what's why is everyone looking at him like that?" Bad asked for him, saying what George had just thought.

Sapnap let out a sigh, kicking the grass below him. "You guys already know that Dream respawned right?" George nodded. "Well, people hate him for it."

"What why? He doesn't have any control over that."

"Exactly." Sapnap responded, placing his hands in his pockets. "But a lot of people here had friends who died. Those people aren't coming back, but Dream did." 

George's eyes lit up in realization. 

Dream didn't do anything. 

"If he wasn't so good at the game, I'm sure people would have targeted him by now. They think its unfair he lived, so they hate him for it." Sapnap explained, as he looked at George. "They blame him for being alive, and its fucking disgusting."

"Language!" 

George suddenly felt pity for his friend, glancing at him once again. 

Knowing him, he'd blame himself too. 

Maybe not out loud. To the public, he'd obviously defend himself, after all he did nothing wrong.  But the whispers would slowly get to him, and George knew it. In fact, he could tell that they already did. 

"It looks like Dream's a criminal right?" Sapnap added, trying to lighten up the mood with a half-joke. "Everyone looks at him like he committed a felony."