Chapter Three

I've never met a problem a proper cupcake couldn't fix. - Sarah Ockler, Bittersweet

I stood in front of my full-length mirror that hung on the back of my door. I held two different outfits in front of myself. One was a plain pair of skinny jeans with a blue V-neck T-shirt; the other was a pair of flowered shorts and a plain pink crew neck T-shirt. For the past fifteen minutes I had been standing there trying to decide what outfit I would wear on my day out with Xana. We had decided to go to the mall and get a mani-pedi, then get our hair highlighted.

When going out with Xana the number one rule is: dress to impress, but don't dress better than me. Going to prom or homecoming with Xana is always difficult; because she'd insist on coming with me dress shopping she says her sense for the "perfect dress" was much better than mine. I always ended up getting my second pick. Why? Well, she'd ridicule my first pick, and say it was ugly. But then she'd get a dress similar to it. It's just something she's insecure about, so I don't argue with her. What's a couple of dresses? It's not like they were actually hideous or anything.

I decided on the second outfit and ran downstairs, grabbing a pair of flat ballet slippers. I yelled goodbye to Luke and my dad, and ran down the sidewalk. Living in a small town didn't push my parents to buy me a car, so I was left getting rides from friends, riding the bus, or walking everywhere. Since the mall was ten miles away and Xana wasn't one to pick me up and drive me anywhere, I was left taking the bus. Now don't hate on Xana for not coming to pick me up, her parents were really strict about her driving, and she actually didn't even know how to drive. Her parents had to drive her everywhere, since I didn't like her parents I decided to take the bus instead.

Twenty-minutes later I was walking into the mall. I was supposed to meet Xana at the hair and nail spa. She had made us appointments so there would be no need to wait for an opening. I walked past the food court, and the greasy smell of all the restaurants filled my nose. I felt my stomach grumble, but ignored it. Only eating a granola bar this morning for breakfast was not satisfying enough for my stomach. Xana decided that we should try a crash diet, where we would only be eating salad, bran, granola, vegetables and chicken that is unseasoned. It is easy to say that I was always hungry, but it was a healthier way to live.

"Aislinn! You were almost late," Xana complained as I made my way over to her at the spa.

"Sorry," I mumbled looking at my watch. We still had ten minutes to wait until we would begin our pampering, but Xana always needed something to complain about.

"It's alright, at least you weren't late," she sighed overdramatically.

"Okay," I mumbled, and sat down next to her, and flipped through an old issue of People magazine.

"Are you ready?" said a woman, who had a thick foreign accent and looked to be from some country in Europe, Greece or maybe Italy.

"Yep." We put down our magazines and followed the woman through a door to where desks were set up, and a woman sat at each one, with a rack of nail polishes hung behind them.

"So anyways, Nick and me are officially over," Xana sighed as we sat in chair, foil in our hair waiting for the hairdresser to come back and remove it.

"That's too bad; you guys were so cute together!" I sympathized.

"Yeah, I really thought we were meant to be, but in all honesty you wouldn't believe how he was in bed!"

"Spare me the details, please."

"Sorry, forgot you were a Disney Princess," she rolled her eyes.

"Yep, thanks for remembering," I gave her a small smile.

"You really should stop acting like you're five, Ais," she began lecturing, "You're seventeen! I mean you have hormones, you had a Sex Ed class, you know all this type of stuff, and you probably have feelings-"