Chapter Twenty: Unicorn's Blood

Drake grabbed my hand as the guitar notes picked up. He squeezed my hand hard. Something really unsettled Drake. 

"Well, he's right," I said with a nervous laugh. "I wasn't going to let Drake die." 

Oracle smiled. "I know, no point in talking you out of it." He looked fatherly and the silence's anxiety shatter. "Let's move closer to the stage." Oracle led the way as we went through the crowds. 

"Ladies and gentlemen! And others!" Ari's voice boomed over speakers that littered the field. People stopped and listened to Ari. Ari's voice carried strength and confidence. It vaguely reminded me of Antonio's voice, but Antonio's voice usually sounded slightly softer because he wasn't trying to be scary. He tried to keep his voice even and calm because Antonio could be scary. I wasn't sure if Ari could be scary. Mean yes, scary, no. 

People parted as Oracle moved through the crowd. Some of them came up to him and talked to him about one art piece or business. He looked at them and really took them in. He made everyone feel special by grabbing their shoulder or giving them a firm handshake. 

I recognized the beginning notes of an eighties song. Ari was doing a cover. I was surprised that he didn't do something from his own work. People danced though especially those that were drunk or high off of something. It looked like fun. 

Maybe, maybe everything was okay. 

"Matty!" 

I looked and saw Ruth, dressed in a pretty pookadotted yellow dress. She waved and smiled when she saw me. She threw her arms around me. She smelled faintly of roses. 

And wine. 

"Drake, yo," Keeva said with a wave of her hand. She looked almost human. "You look tense." Drake gave her a tight smile that made me a little anxious. 

"How's it going?" Ruth whispered in my ear. I shrugged.  

"How are things going for you?" I asked. 

She rolled her eyes, but didn't pull away from me. "You look like you're able to relax a little. Is it because of the trusting thing?" 

I shrugged. It was probably the wine. Ruth took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. 

"I've been thinking a lot about the trusting thing," Ruth said. 

"What about it?" I wondered. 

Ruth smiled. Something caught her eye and I realized Keeva caught her attention. Her body relaxed as Keeva laughed at something Drake did. 

"I realized something," Ruth said, "about the trust thing. Your argument is silly, but I get it." She looked at me. "You're terrified of having a connection to everyone." 

I tensed. "What makes you say that?" I said. 

"Don't get defensive, I get it," Ruth said quickly. "It's just something I noticed. Keeva mentioned some stuff about your past a bit ago." 

I wasn't sure if I liked this. 

"Keeva doesn't know me that well."

"Well-"

"Matty, there you are!" 

I gulped down my wine as I saw Rose come from the crowd. The people she stood with looked a bit confused when they turned to look at me. I didn't recognize them, but I had a feeling they leaned more into acting then the modeling work I was more used to. 

Rose came up and hugged me tightly. She smelled like her namesake. 

Ruth rolled her eyes next to me, but she didn't say anything.