lxxix. mated souls

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬
❝ 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

IT HAS BEEN A FEW DAYS since Gandalf and Pippin left Edoras

Vera's days have been long and dreary, seemingly never-ending but prolonged. The young mermaid didn't know what else to do considering her only forms of entertainment were Èmiliya and Edmund arguing back and forth, which will sometimes get tiresome when she would have to be involved, or Merry, who was rather mortified to see the 'replacements' — which is what he liked to call Èmiliya and Edmund — of him and Pippin. He had been rather indignant towards them, which would call out different sorts of arguments between the three where Vera had to reassure them all that they are not replacements. Merry found it offensive that Vera had 'replaced' them while Èmiliya had been affronted that she was a 'replacement', which is not true in any way. After a few days, they finally understood that and befriended one another, causing mischief here and there.

But sometimes Vera would overhear Èmiliya talking to Edmund about the elder halfling, going on and on about how dull he seems.

Vera did apprehend why he is sad, though. His best friend and his cousin were stolen away from him for the first time in a very long time to be closer to the enemy. It was worrisome and caused him much anxiety like it did Vera.

But in order to keep herself from breaking down anxiously, Vera did everything she could to distract herself, and her friends were always there to help her.

Vera had been visiting Trewyn so that her grandmother could check up on her wellbeing. Over the days, her wounds eventually started mending together to form a scar, determined never to open up again, courtesy of Aldwin and Trewyn's care. She would often frequent her grandfather and spent a few hours sitting by his bedside, talking to him and often relieving herself of her stress by ranting to her unconscious grandfather. Trewyn would be there whenever she isn't busy and would give some advice for Vera when Elfswith couldn't — she would always explain Elfswith's recovery and his wellbeing as a report, knowing that Vera would want to know. And the elder woman wanted someone to talk to. Admittedly, Vera was rather sad about her grandfather's inevitable death but she didn't really interact with him the same way that Aldwin and Grimmund did.

She supposed that's what made it easier for Trewyn to ramble to Vera.

When Vera's wounds were officially declared fully healed, Vera had instinctively gone to the training grounds of Edoras to practice her skill in fighting and battle. Trewyn had been disapproval towards that but couldn't do anything as Vera had already made up her mind. Neptune and Edgar were normal visitors whenever Vera was training, and she would always fight against them — and, most of the time, won. She wondered if they were going easy on her because of her wound, and her suspicions were confirmed correct when she fought against Aragorn and Grimmund. Corin refused to fight with her, in fear of being called 'boring' again, and spent most of his time with Coral, which Vera greatly supported.