Prologue

The taste of pain? It's hard to explain.

It's more than taste, it's every single sense.

It sounds like a cat purring but when you get too close it sounds like nails on the chalkboard. The sound. It's piercing, almost deafening. It can make you clutch your head, it can give you a migraine that feels like it'll never end.

It smells like smores with a little touch of campfire, ya know that nice smell that sticks to your clothes, that one. The smell reminds some people of memories with their family while camping or a laid back night, just you and the fire under the stars. Quick, the smores fade away and the campfire doesn't smell so good anymore. Flesh and hair, it's burning to ash and it's floating up to the sky, never to be seen again.

It feels like everything you touch is covered in shattered glass, it's like you can't get away. Every step is so cold it feels like frostbite, it burns. Then, it might feel like you got a nice warm fur coat in the cold, maybe even a handwarmer sitting in your pocket waiting for you.

It could look like a perfect Hawaiian getaway, with the sea lining the horizon. A couple of palm trees. A coconut by your side, a straw in it. It's just calling for you. Then, the sea turns into heatwaves, there is no coconut anymore. Just sand. There's nothing in sight, it's just endless. Hopeless.

The taste is different for everybody. They may taste it and run. They may hide and call for help until their vocal cords sting. They might try everything to forget about it. They might plug their nose, stop feeling, stop eating, stop listening, and stop seeing! They'll try everything to never feel pain again.

On the other hand, some may fall in love with the taste. It's like a drug. Or it might feel like true loves kiss. Those people would do anything to feel pain. They might plug their nose, stop feeling, stop eating, stop listening, and stop seeing! All for pain.

You see, it's different for everybody. But they do the same things to get what they want.

The Taste of Pain