25. O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum...

(999 words)

'Malfoy, I need to buy Christmas decorations and stuff.' Potter was slovenly lounging on Draco's sofa in his small flat, looking at Draco's small but elegantly decorated tree in the corner.

'Haven't you sorted it yet?' Draco sighed, putting down his tea. Honestly, the man was impossible.

'There's still three weeks until Christmas!' Potter complained.

'Where's your Christmas spirit?'

'Bah-humbug!' Potter teased, his green eyes twinkling. 'We had a house meeting last night, it was the first thing on Mione's Agenda. Apparently, no one thought they should "interfere" because it's my house.'

'They're perfectly right,' Draco said with a slight sneer, albeit half-hearted.

'I don't know where to begin...'

'We get in your loathsome car and go to the shops.'

'You don't really think it's loathsome?' Potter looked hurt but Draco knew it was feigned.

'Of course, I don't. I think we should head out of town. Go somewhere new. How about St Albans? Laura was saying yesterday that its very nice there and they've got some lovely pubs. We could grab lunch while we're out.'

'Why do I suspect you mean at my expense?'

'It's your shopping trip.'

Potter rolled his eyes but was already pushing himself up and reaching for his coat. 'Come on, then.'

St Albans was, indeed, very picturesque with its old cobbled market street and clocktower and huge Christmas tree in the centre of the town. Someone directed them towards 'Ye Olde Fighting Cocks' inn on the other side of the Cathedral, apparently Britain's oldest pub. They sat in a cosy corner under the low-beamed ceiling of the half-timbered building next to a roaring fire surrounded by pictures of the splendid cockerels that had once fought in the old pit, many centuries ago.

'Barbaric,' whispered Draco, looking at a taxidermy cockerel in a glass case.

'They don't do it anymore,' sighed Potter. 'And is it really any worse than keeping the heads of your house-elves on display?'

'Don't be so uncouth, Potter, we never did that!'

'You mother's family did.'

'Not her side...' but Draco had to agree.

They walked back to the car slowly, pausing by the Cathedral to listen to the choir practicing their muggle carols. He wouldn't admit it aloud, but Draco thought it was rather magical. Flitwick had his choir at Hogwarts but it was nothing like what they were listening to in the cool peacefulness of the old church. Draco then proceeded to drag them into numerous small boutiquey-type shops when he saw something suitable for the tree they'd yet to buy. Draco thought Potter should only have white decorations in his pale sitting room. Occasionally, he nipped off too, leaving a fed-up Potter standing on the pavement holding all the bags. Draco was in his element, especially as he had control of Potter's wallet and had learnt how to use Potter's muggle bank card.

There was a man selling trees in the market and he netted a seven-foot tree for them which they carried between them back to the car.

'Er, Malfoy! How were you intending to get this back to Grimmauld Place?'

Draco scratched his head. They were drawing attention.

'Put the shopping in the boot. Roof down, seat wound back, lay it into the footwell. I'll sit behind you. Easy!'

'Give me your coat then,' Potter grumbled.

'What do you mean?'

'I'm not getting tree sap and pine needles all over my car.'

'Wait here!' Draco ran off to a shop they'd passed a while back and returned with a rather large expensive faux-fur throw. 'Cover the seat and carpet with that!'

They managed between them to get the tree in, much to the amusement of people passing by and then other road users as they drove back to London.

'We should do this every year,' Draco shouted, due of the wind, in Potter's ear.

Potter didn't answer. He kept glancing at the tree beside him in his precious car.

'This is fun!' Draco said as they drove through central London, garnering stares. Though he was somewhat pleased he'd grabbed his hat and gloves as they left his flat because his ears were a bit cold. And he was very pleased it wasn't raining.

'Don't mark my car!' Potter exclaimed as they started to unload everything outside Grimmauld Place. He wasn't very happy. Not until everything was out and he cast thorough Scourifying spells over every inch of the car and was certain there wasn't a mark made on any surface.

'It's only a car,' Ron muttered as he and Neville helped get the tree in.

Potter actually growled.

Draco pulled Ron away quickly in case Actual Bodily Harm occurred. Draco, Neville, and Ron left Potter to it and put the tree up in his absence. It filled one of the tall front windows that over-looked the street. Not that anyone saw because of the Wards.

Draco charmed the lights so that they spread out evenly from top to bottom. He'd insisted Potter bought far more than he thought he needed and was pleased. It sparkled beautifully in the encroaching darkness of the December evening.

When Potter eventually came in, satisfied his car was in pristine condition. He gasped and smiled. Draco had Christmas music playing and had opened a bottle of wine.

'Here,' he said, handing Potter a glass. 'I left the decorations that you chose for you to finish off. And the fairy for the top of the tree.'

'Angel,' Potter said softly.

Draco was feeling rather pleased with himself, the tree looked beautiful, the champagne-coloured faux-fur rug was draped artfully over one of the sofas, and he'd decorated the fireplace with a swathe of foliage and lights and two small trees in baskets. Four cream Aran-knit stockings hung on one side of the mantle as the fire crackled merrily in the grate.

For a moment, Draco felt a pang of sorrow. He thought he would rather like to be spending Christmas here with Potter and the others.

*****