Chapter 6

I walked into the girls locker room and collapsed onto the floor. 

Anna laughed at me, "How was practice?"

"Zack tried to break me with sprints." I groaned, ripping off my shin guards. 

She raised an eyebrow. "Did it work?"

I grinned, "Naah. And I stole his goal at the end too."

"Yesss girl." She high-fived me and the others laughed. 

I grabbed my towel and headed for the showers, my legs barely wanting to move. I couldn't help but wonder what Zack had been about to say to me, but dismissed the thought. Knowing him it was bound to be something mean.  

"So there's a soccer game on Saturday, right?" Kirsty asked.

"Yeah, against Westfield or someone?" I replied as I shampooed my hair. 

"Ooohh! Westfield games are always the best!" Becca squealed from the shower opposite.

"They're our school rivals." Kirsty added. 

"Yeah, Coach said. I'm just hoping I'll be able to play."

"Keep running circles around Zack and they'll have to let you on the team!" Anna called as she left the showers. 

I grinned. The positive energy around these girls was contagious.  

I wrapped my towel around myself and returned to my section of bench in the locker room. 

"Guys, it's confirmed!" A girl opposite me announced to the room, phone in hand.

"My parents are out of town Saturday night!"

"Yesss Brooke!!" The girls all squealed with excitement to this news. 

"Hey, new girl." Brooke called to me. 

She was much taller than me and stockily built. She stared me down and I waited for some kind of snide remark, but instead her face broke into a grin. 

"I heard you're kicking Zack's ass at training."

I laughed, "Trying my best."

She gave me a nod of respect. "That's pretty cool. There's a big party at my house after the game Saturday. You should come."

"I will, thanks." I responded, smiling gratefully.  

"Brooke's house is the best."  Rachel whispered beside me. 

"Massive pool." Becca added. 

I grinned. If I survived my first week of school and made it on the team, a pool party seemed like the perfect way to celebrate. 

Once we were all dressed we strolled out of the locker room together. As we headed for the parking lot we heard raised voices, and turned the corner to see Adam and Zack in a heated discussion. We watched as Adam shoved Zack in the chest and it quickly turned into a scuffle. 

"Shit." Kirsty breathed, rushing over. 

I waited with the other girls and observed the scene unfold. The other guys intervened, Trent holding Zack back and Jake dragging Adam away towards a concerned Kirsty, who managed to steer him towards his car. 

Zack pushed Trent away and stormed off. 

"What the hell was that?" Rachel asked, wide-eyed. 

"Uuhh..." I muttered. 

They all looked at me and I grimaced. 

"I might have drawn Adam's attention to the fact that Zack was making us sprint on purpose to try and get me to quit." I explained.