𝟎𝟏 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 beginnings

"Loving you was the most exquisite form of self destruction" —David Jones

IT WAS NEVER the most common option for Avelina to believe in fairy tales

IT WAS NEVER the most common option for Avelina to believe in fairy tales. She was a woman doomed with bad luck. She was doomed with a mind full of outrageous thoughts that wouldn't allow her to be free. Once upon a time was only a figment of the imagination, but Adrik was beginning to ease it into her reality.

"I can't look. What does it say?" Avelina asked once she finished pacing back and forth. Her heart was thumping so powerfully in her chest, she was sure Miss Paola could hear it. Biting down on her lip wasn't enough to calm the thoughts running wild in her mind.

"Oh," Miss Paola uttered.

Avelina's brows pulled together at the remark that fell from the woman's lips. It wasn't enough to either end the curiosity pounding at her mind. All it did was leave the hairs on the nape of her neck to stand up at attention.

"Am I preg—"

Miss Paola handed the test over to Avelina. Her heart immediately fell to the floor at the sight of the one line shown on the little screen to the pregnancy test. She had to check only to check again in order to make sure that she hadn't misread the test. However, no matter how many times she rinsed out her eyes to make sure she wasn't just seeing things, the test was always the same—positive.

"Oh," Avelina found herself repeating. It wasn't just one positive test, but it was all four. "What do I do?"

"I don't know! Tell the father," Miss Paola pronounced as if the answer was the most obvious thing in the world.

Avelina knew she was right, but she couldn't end the battle of doubt that began to surface in her mentality. Adrik was a complex man, and he was candid about everything including the way things would make him feel. It would tear her apart if he ever came close to not wanting her and the baby in a way that was sealed forever.

"You're right. I'm going to go tell him and we will come up with a plan together," Avelina declared.

Miss Paola nodded her head as the corner of her lips lifted up into a reassuring smile. "Go get 'em, tiger!"

Avelina walked out of the bathroom and charged down the stairs. A sigh moved past her lips. Drizzle complimented her body the moment she stepped outside. As she moved, Avelina reached for her phone from the inside of her pocket. She instantly began dialing Adrik's number. He had told her to call him if she ever needed a ride, and it was exactly what she desperately needed at the moment. She had neglected to bring her wallet and didn't exactly have any money to pay for a taxi.

Her phone began to ring. Typically, Adrik always made sure to pick up his phone. Not a lot of people ever bothered calling him unless it was important. So, when her phone went straight to voicemail, she couldn't stop her lips from drooping down into a frown.