Ch. 30 - Johnathan

Song: Karma by AJR
Words: 1985
Published: August 12th, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

Wednesday; 12:02 A.M.

Rayna awakes suddenly, her heart beating quickly and her skin coated in a light layer of sweat. Her fingers twitch with adrenaline. She turns her head to the left to see Harley sound asleep in bed next to her. She looks around the room, not noticing anything out of the ordinary. She wasn't having a nightmare, so what happened?

Her eyes land on the window.

Something's out there.

She bites the inside of her cheek, wondering what she should do. She doesn't want to wake Harley, and something outside is calling for her.

She lets out a faint sigh and lifts the covers off of her. She silently slips out of bed and into the closet. She gets dressed out of pajamas and into leggings, a bra, underwear, a t-shirt, socks, and a sweatshirt. She puts on a pair of shoes and leaves out the bedroom door. She walks quietly through the halls and outside the back door.

The cool night air surrounds her, making her zip up her sweatshirt.

She starts walking through the woods, not knowing where she's going but knowing how to get there. This . . . feeling guides her through the forest. It's almost as if an invisible string is tied to her and pulling her towards something.

Halfway there, she remembers the rogues. She pauses, and something tells her that that isn't her biggest concern. Curious and too far in to turn back, she continues on.

After at least ten minutes of walking, she reaches the border of the territory. The feeling ends here.

Rayna stands, confused. She looks around, but she's only met with the darkness of the forest--the only light being the soft illumination of the moon. She doesn't smell anything out of the ordinary, either.

She tries to listen in, and she hears a twig snap. Figures appear on the other side of the border.

Her heart stops for a moment.

Johnathan.

Beside him is a blonde woman dressed in a Gothic black dress and hat.

Behind them stand a few other women and a large pack of rogues: the same ones that have been attacking the warriors.

'Witches,' Rayna's wolf tells her. 'The rogues are under their control.'

She quickly pieces together that Johnathan is working with the witches, and they're the ones behind the rogue attacks. She was right--someone is controlling them.

She takes a surprised step back, but she quickly collects herself. She stands tall, confidently holding her ground, and keeps on a strong face.

If they were going to do anything to her, they would've done it by now. They have a bigger plan . . .

"It's nice to see you, Rayna," Johnathan greets with a big smile.

"Johnathan," she softly growls, not taking his bullshit.

He raises an eyebrow at her, amused. The witch next to him looks up at him, as if she's wondering what he's going to do. He looks down at her for a moment and wraps an arm around her waist, pulling her in.