Chapter Twenty Eight

The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies. - Unknown

My ears rang with the sound of my thumping heart as I marched swiftly in the direction of my mom's bakery.

I can't believe he wouldn't tell me.

I believed him. I gave him a chance.

My body felt as though it was on fire the more I thought about what just happened.

My breath quickened, not from walking, but from the anger building.

I threw open the door to the bakery and trudged to my regular table in the corner, plopping down.

Not even two minutes later, I felt someone sit across from me.

"Are you going to say 'I told you so'?"

I just knew it was Jon.

"Do you honestly think I would do that? Do you think I wanted to be right? I didn't. As much as I despised how close you seemed to be getting so quickly, I didn't want him to betray you like this. I was actually hoping I was was just being paranoid about losing my best friend."

"You're right. Not just about this. About pretty much everything. You were right that Damon was hiding something. You're right that I have become deeply involved in this case to the point where it's almost the only thing I think about from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep."

He reached over and grabbed my hand, which I only now realized was shaking.

"Are you sure you want to be here? We can go back to your house and just relax."

I sniffed before nodding.

"It's not that I'm sad. I'm just angry that I finally decided to give somebody other than you a chance and they just completely ruined it."

"I know. I know. Look I'm going to get us some treats and we'll head home, okay?"

Again I nodded.

Reluctantly I let go of his hand, allowing hi to stand, before plopping my head down on my arms, burying my head.

"Aww. Is the poor little weirdo sad?" I heard which caused me to lift my head up.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not in the mood Kirsty. Just leave me alone."

"I take it you finally found out about Damon."

"What? You here to rub it in or something? You know I'm guessing your family is full of great actors. He pretended to be nothing like your family. At least you let people know you're a complete wench."

"Wench?! How dare you?!"

"Is there a problem here?"

My mom stood behind Kirsty, arms folded, Jon behind her.

"Not at all mom. Kirsty was just leaving. Isn't that right Kirsty?"

Kirsty huffed before stomping off, getting into her white Mercedes and driving off.

"Are you okay Harley?"

"Yeah. Kirsty was just being... Kirsty."

"That girl." My mom said. "Just as awful as her mother from what I hear."

I nodded.

"Anyways, what are you doing here? Didn't you get my texts?"

"What texts?"

"I texted you after school."

I pulled out my phone and sure enough there were both messages and missed calls from my mom.