Chapter 19

Halloween had once been one of my favorite holidays, especially at Hogwarts. Yet, ever since the death of the Potters and Sirius' incarceration, I despised the day. But as I sat at the head table in the Great Hall, seated comfortably next to Professor McGonagall, I was at ease. The room hummed with excitement. Soon, the Triwizard champions would be chosen. As we stared at the Goblet of Fire, brimming with its blue flames, I found my children in the crowd of students. Cassie was sandwiched between Fred and George, who no longer sported greying beards, and Regulus sat huddled in a group of Slytherins, watching excitedly.

Dumbledore set the mood of anticipation by extinguishing every Halloween decoration, plunging the hall into darkness, only to be lit by the Goblet. My heart pounded, hoping the selection of champions went just as Umbridge planned it to. Suddenly, the Goblet of Fire's flames turned red and reached for the ceiling, sending a shower of sparks into the air. The first champion was chosen- Viktor Krum from Durmstrang!

The young, renowned Quidditch player stood, the Hall and the Durmstrang students starting to roar in approval. The surly boy strutted past me and disappeared through the exit behind the head table. Next, Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons was chosen. Her success was not nearly as welcomed as that of Krum, but I couldn't help but notice the stares the beautiful blonde witch got as she gracefully followed in Krum's past. And finally, as I held my breath, Cedric Diggory from Hogwarts was named the final champion. I let out a sigh as the Hufflepuff table erupted into cheers. At least Cassie and her friends hadn't tricked the Goblet of Fire.

I got up from my seat to follow and congratulate the three champions. Umbridge had given me an extensive list of rules to give to the champions upon their choosing. However, my exit was cut short when the Goblet of Fire started to glow, and shoot sparks a fourth time. I had to grip Professor McGonagall's arm out of shock and ask her for clarification when Dumbledore read the name of a fourth champion.

"Harry Potter."

<<>><<>><<>>

I was completely baffled and stricken with horror. Somehow, as I tried to prevent Cassie and the Weasleys from entering the Tournament, my own godson must've snuck by. The Great Hall went silent, seemingly quieter than it had ever been in its existence. Even the ghosts and the portraits around the room stopped moving.

"He didn't do it," I whispered in awe to Professor McGonagall. My eyes were focused on the young boy with messy black hair. "He couldn't have..."

Professor McGonagall suddenly rushed forward to whisper to Dumbledore, and I watched as the headmaster called Harry forward. Harry looked like a sleepwalker as he stumbled towards the exit. Dumbledore attempted to address the confused students in the Great Hall. Ludo Bagman started to question me, asking if I foresaw this outcome or if the Ministry planned Harry to be a champion all along. 

I was completely speechless. I was baffled as to how the young boy could have tricked the Goblet. Surely, James' Invisibility Cloak couldn't have helped Harry pass the age line? The three headmasters, Snape, McGonagall, Moody, and Bartemius Crouch burst into the room with the champions, who were talking in concern to Ludo Bagman.

Buzzing silence filled my ears as the headmasters and the champions argued. Harry kept looking to me for support, but I was frozen in shock. I put up every preventative measure. The Age Line was infallible... I couldn't believe it. Harry Potter to compete in a deadly tournament underage... Lily would've killed me if Umbridge didn't dance on my corpse first. My jaw was tight with concern until an angry Karkaroff turned to me, nearly spitting in my face.

"Who is to say she didn't let the boy enter his name?" Karkaroff snarled. "I'm sure she would love to see Hogwarts have twice the chance that we do! And maybe she wants to see Potter die in the tournament. After all, isn't that what her husband set out to do last year when he escaped?"