Bad Alive

Taeyong led us downstairs and into the parlor room. Jeno was already there waiting for us along with two other staff members.

Mere moments after we arrived, our attention was brought to the sound of an approaching car engine. Jeno nodded at Taeyong and then towards the two staff members who quickly positioned themselves on opposite sides of the two large doors.

Taeyong leaned in before whispering, "Don't look so nervous. You'll do fine."

I turned my head and nodded, grateful for his words of encouragement though my nerves were anything but soothed.

As the two men began to open the doors, bright ribbons of light began to shine violently, through the crack. After having spent days cooped up inside, my eyes were more irritated than appreciative towards the sudden blast of vitamin d. Before my eyes could fully adjust to the light, both Taeyong and Haechan were gone from my side. Catching a glimpse of their vanishing figures, I began to walk towards the entrance as well.

"Mrs. Lee! What a pleasure it is to see you!" Taeyong greeted as he opened the door of the sleek black Hyundai while Jeno began unloading the luggage from the trunk.

Despite it being bright out, I was unable to even see anything stirring from within the car except for darkness. When Taeyong extended his hand out, I realized why that was the case. A black glove covered hand reached out towards Taeyong's only instead of accepting the gesture, it seemed as though it were simply handing him a large black leather bag. Taeyong was caught off guard by the action and almost fell forward from the sudden weight of the bag. I instinctively took a step forward intent on helping him out but Haechan grabbed my arm to hold me in place.

"Watch, you're not gonna wanna miss this," He chuckled, a wicked grin etched on his face.

A thin figure dressed head to toe in black slowly emerged from the expensive car of a similar shade.

I didn't know what I was expecting, but I definitely wasn't expecting this.

Her outfit looked like that of a 19th century widower still mourning the loss of her husband... but sexy? A crush velvet dress wrapped around her figure, the skirt of which ended just a few inches above the driveway. Every inch of her skin was covered, but by a fabric so tight I could easily imagine Madam Ten sporting a similar ensemble. Everything except for the hat at least, which was draped in a loose charcoal colored netting which covered the wearer's face completely.

I watched as she pulled the netting away from her face, lifting it to reveal a face much younger than I was expecting. From the look of it, she couldn't have been older than 36, but that made almost no sense given that Jaehyun was 22. Then I remembered that Jaehyun was adopted when he was eight years old, so it wasn't actually surprising for her to only be in her mid-thirties.

She looked around, paying no mind to Taeyong as he continued to greet her. When her stare landed on Jeno, she cried out his name.

"Jeno!"

Jeno set down a rather large suitcase on the pavement only to be ambushed by the former lady of the house. I watched as she pulled the much taller man towards her, causing Jeno to stumble into her embrace.

"Oh, how I've missed you!" She squealed, only allowing him to withdraw from her arms so she could look at him.

"Goodness, Jeno! You've lost so much weight your cheeks are practically concave!"

Her hands reached out to grab at the fleshy cheeks which were painted red with embarrassment. I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle, wondering how anyone could ever look at Jeno and see, not a man with more muscle mass than most of the other occupants of the estate, but a man who was slowly withering away.