x x i x .

After practically jumping out of her bed and into the shower, Marie packed in lightening speed despite her body begging for extra sleep. She kept checking out her window onto the street in front of her house in case Nathaniel's driver came early.

The clock read 7:50 AM meaning the car should be at the Mor's house any moment. Marie was in good mood despite having to get up so early. How whipped do you have to be to wake up early for someone?

Rian had heard the commotion and entered Marie's room half asleep and rubbing his eyes, almost scaring the girl out of her wits. "Are you leaving? Already?"

"You still don't knock?" Marie retorted, throwing her backpack over her shoulder. "And yes, I am."

"Papa isn't even up and Ma isn't driving you."

Marie looked at Rian with a blank expression before he realized, rolling his eyes.

"Gross."

Nudging the young boy out of her way jokingly, Marie pattered downstairs to the kitchen in hopes to whip up some coffee.

Instead, she ran into her mother who was making herself her own cup. "Marianna? It's awfully early."

"I'm leaving." Marie opened the fridge but it was mostly full of leftovers from last night. She frowned. She just wanted a bagel.

"Who's picking you up?" Marie's mother asked, mildly concerned but mostly compliant. For the most part, she let Marie have her independence once she reached 18.

"The guy I went on a date with earlier."

Marie's mother just rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her coffee. "Are you still taking your birth control?"

"Ew, Ma." While her parents may be aware of her sexual activity, Marie didn't want to think about it.

"Marianna, listen to me."

Marie turned towards her mother, expecting a lecture. But it turned out to be one of the most genuine conversations the two women have had in a while.

"You're my daughter. My only daughter," Marie mothered spoke. "I'm raising you to be a strong woman. You may not agree with my ways... but it's from a sincere place."

Her mother wasn't wrong - Marie didn't agree with her ways. She opted for pressure and fear, over trust and compassion.

"I understand." Marie wasn't forcing her response or lying, because at the end of the day, she understood.

"Get back safe and call more."

The mother and daughter exchanged a brief hug. Marie knew her mother was one of the strongest women she knew in her own way, and she held that close.

Marie said her goodbyes to her half-asleep brother and father. Rian had gotten a smartphone for his birthday which was on his desk. Unable to unlock it, Marie scribbled her phone number on a post-it note and stuck it on the screen - letting Rian know to call her whenever he needed to.

The same car that Marie remembered entering after the conference with Nathaniel was waiting outside. Grabbing all her stuff, Marie made her way out. She smiled at the driver with a blush as he opened the door for her.

The guy better have an NDA contract with Nathaniel with the number of times he had seen the girl get in his car.

✥  ✥  ✥

Marie was asleep the entire car ride to Nathaniel's apartment complex. She clutched her bag like a pillow and drifted off peacefully thanks to the chauffeur's smooth driving skills.