Chapter 57

Jason stood next to the Batsignal, looking out over the city as Bruce stood in front of Gordon, waiting for an explanation as to why they were called, "What is it?"

"Surely you've seen the papers." Gordon started. "We have a serial killer on our hands."

"The Melting Man." Bruce nodded, bringing up the name Jason had heard a few times in the past few days. "I've heard. Does the Gotham PD have any leads?"

"We don't, but you might." Gordon reached into his jacket, pulling out a thin folder to hand to Bruce. Jason studied it before Bruce took it, wondering how the hell anything useful could fit into something that small. "These were sent to the station addressed to Robin."

Oh. Maybe that's how it was useful. He straightened up, walking over to the two men as Gordon turned to face him, "Maybe someone you helped put away that's gotten out?"

"I don't think I've ever pissed off someone that melts people's faces off." He shrugged, thinking hard about that statement. He could think it was true, but the real truth was he had pissed so many people off that it was hard to keep them all in a row.

Gordon nodded, gesturing to the folder in Bruce's hands, "Well, maybe when you get a look at these, you'll think of something."

"We'll check them out." Bruce promised taking off as Gordon turned around to start walking to the other side of the rooftop.

"It's a shit show out there." Gordon sighed, turning back around to see Bruce gone and Jason standing in his spot. "I take it you still haven't learned that trick yet?"

"I have, I just wanted to know if there was anything else you needed to say." Jason shrugged. Gordon shook his head as Jason turned to climb up on the ledge. "Fine. Then we're done here."

"I don't know what's going on with you, but you need to get it under control before you get yourself or someone else killed." Gordon said sternly as he judged the distance from the roof to the ground. He had made the jump a thousand times before with Blair, both usually laughing and chasing each other from rooftop to rooftop.

Not looking back, Jason waved him off, taking a step to jump, "Yeah, yeah, I'll think long and hard about that on the way down."

********

Jason parked his motorcycle in the Batcave, immediately walking into the changing room to change into sweatpants and a t-shirt. It had been a long enough few days even without the serial killer's new bird obsession. He wondered what Blair would have done, what she would have said if she was there. No doubt she'd already have a few theories about who the Melting Man was.

He finished wiping the black paint off his eyes, turning to walk out of the changing room. The minute he left, he saw River leaning against the wall across from him. He rolled his eyes, "She's not here. She went to go visit Dick in Michigan."