Chapter 13: Public Enemy

Connor's POV

I open my eyes and find myself back in the Zen Garden. I walk around until I find Amanda in a boat and walk towards her.

"Hello, Connor." She greets. "I thought you might enjoy a little cruise."

I hop in and push the boat away from the shore and further into the river.

'Yeah and I gotta do all the work.'

I row the boat in the river as Amanda speaks.

"I love this place. Everything is so calm and peaceful. Far from the noise of the world. Tell me, what have you discovered?"

"My relationship with Lieutenant Anderson is problematic. He continues to struggle with psychological issues. I suspect it clouds his judgment regarding deviants. On top of that, (Y/n)'s disappearance doesn't help. She's been gone for two days now."

"Nothing matters more than your investigation." Amanda snaps. "What's happening is too important. Don't let the Anderson's or anyone else get in your way."

I row for a bit more before Amanda speaks up once again.

"You seem lost, Connor. Lost and perturbed."

I look at her and look down. "I thought I knew what I had to do but now I realize it's not that simple."

Amanda ↓

"You had your gun trained on those deviants at the Eden Club. Why didn't you shoot?"

I think about my answer wisely.

'I can't tell her the truth. She wouldn't like that.'

"We need the deviants intact for analysis. Shooting them wouldn't have told us anything."

She stays silent so I'm guessing my response was okay.

"If your investigation doesn't make progress soon, I may have to replace you, Connor."

"I know I will succeed. All I need is time."

Amanda ↑

Thunder rumbles in the sky and Amanda looks up.

"Something's happening." She says. "Something serious. Hurry, Connor. Time is running out."

Your POV

I hear police sirens so that's my cue to leave. I look at Simon.

"I have to go. I'll try to keep them away from the roof. Find a way to get back to them and stay safe." I tell him.

He nods. "Thank you, (Y/n)."

I smile and then open the container. I check my surroundings to make sure it's clear before I step out.

'Time to head inside. Dad and Connor are probably already in there.'

I open the door to the roof and walk down the stairs and back into the broadcast room. I look around to see officers are already on the scene and what looks like... FBI agents?

'The fuck are they doing here?'

"Oh Lieutenant, this is Special Agent Perkins from the FBI." I whip my head over to the sound of Chris' voice. I smile as I see Dad and Connor.

'Turns out I was right about the feds being here.'

"Lieutenant Anderson is in charge of investigating for Detroit Police." Chris continues the introduction.