Part 71

"So... how are things?" Marco asked with a grin after he and Luke had been left alone. 

Luke frowned. They'd been tied to some chairs, back to back and hadn't been told what would happen next or what to expect. 

"Funny." Luke muttered, trying to wiggle free but with every movement it seemed the ropes just got tighter. 

"Yeah, you can keep trying but it looks like these guys really know their stuff. These knots are great. I only wish we could have them give our guys a class." Marco said with a humorless chuckle. 

"I'm glad to see you still have your sense of humor." Luke said, annoyed. Marco shrugged, well he shrugged as much as possible within their restraints. 

"I figured you'd be pissed enough for the both of us." Marco said with a deep sigh.

"How long have you been here." Luke asked.

"Almost a week." He said. 

"That explains why you smell so bad." Luke said and Marco smiled.

"Give it time, you'll get there too." Marco asked. 

"Do you know what they want?" Luke asked. 

"I was hoping you'd know but my guess is your head." Marco said, "And who could blame them? Such a good looking guy."

Luke laughed, he couldn't help it. It felt nice to have Marco back and being himself. 

"Maybe they'll take you instead, you're the one with the pretty face." Luke said. 

"Why Luke! Here I thought you'd never noticed me." Marco said, making Luke laugh again. 

"Stop that. This is a serious situation." Luke said, "We need to figure out what we're gonna do."

"You're right to think this is a serious situation." Vic Russo's voice made the two men turn as he slowly approached them from the shadows. "This is a very serious situation but I can tell you right now, there isn't anything you can do."

"Hey Vic, how's it going?" Marco asked, a big smile on his bruised and swollen lips. It was obvious that they hadn't gone easy on him but Luke knew that it didn't matter what they did to Marco. He wouldn't give them any information. 

"I'm doing wonderful, thank you." Vic said with a smile, circling them slowly. Neither of them missed how he began to roll up his sleeves. "I heard you got married. Congratulations."

Luke stiffened. He didn't like the idea of them bringing Echo into it. 

"What? Nothing to say?" This time it was Franco who spoke, approaching them slowly. "When someone says congratulations, it's only polite to say Thank you."

"Let's try it again." Vic said. "Congratulations on the wedding, Luke. She's a cutie."

Luke didn't say anything, he only continued to scowl. 

"No?" Vic said with a shrug. "Then we teach you manners the way we learned 'em."

France sighed before leaning close to Luke's ear. 

"The old fashioned way." He whispered, stepping back only for Vic to come in and punch him hard. Another hit to the gut- Luke began to cough, blood now coming from between his lips. 

There was laughter as the two brothers watched him gasping for air. Such loud, shrill sounds- it was a strange sound for two men who looked like that to make.  Then, as Luke began to regain his breath, he frowned.

There was a third laugh, one he knew too well. Both Russo brothers and Luke were quiet now as Marco laughed loudly, his deep voice booming in the room.