🌬 Southern Air temple pt 3 🌬

I walk in to see Sokka standing in the corner looking back at me, shaking his head in a depressing manner. I took my eyes off Sokka and looked around the room, that's when I realized where we were. Dozens and dozens of skeletons belonging to the fire nation, so much that it made me want to throw up a little. I turn towards Aang and see that he was kneeled in front of a skeleton. When Sokka approaches him to comfort him, he starts glowing. Soon after, Aang blows me and Sokka out of the tent, destroying it in the process. I squint my eyes to see what he was standing in front of and then I see it. The necklace.

Flashback

"No matter what anyone says or thinks, I know you're the only one who can do this, you're the only one that can carry out this job. You have so much more potential then you give yourself credit for, you may be struggling now but I know you will be one of the greatest airbenders this temple has ever seen before. As for your parents, I know they would've been proud of you if they were here." Monk Gyatso turns and looks at me, "I know that I'm proud of you" he says while sending a warm comforting smile my way. I tear up, hearing the words I desperately wanted and needed to hear.

End of flashback

I stare blankly at the skeleton, my eyes tearing up, 'so that's what he said...' I slowly stand up and stumble my way to Aang. 'I left the air- No. My people to die here, I probably could've saved them, I knew what was going to happen and I still left, without even trying.' I hug Aang once I'm near him and we both fall to our knees. I start sobbing while hugging Aang, my head was spinning, the guilt slowly building up.

"I know you guys are upset." Katara said as she walked in and slowly approached us, taking cover from Aang's airbending sphere that kept growing, "and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love. I went through the same thing when I lost my mother. Monk Gyatso and the other airbenders may be gone, but you guys still have a family. Sokka and I, we're your family now." She finished and they both approached me and Aang as he started to dispense his airbending.

"Katara and I aren't going to let anything happen to you guys. Promise." Sokka says reassuringly, making my heart skip a beat. Katara kneels down and hugs us.

"I'm sorry." Aang says as he gets out of Avatar mode and rests his head on my shoulder.

"It's okay, it wasn't your fault." Katara says as she hugs him from behind.

"But you were right. And if firebenders found this temple, that's means they found the other ones too." Aang says as his hand starts to slowly tremble, "we really are the last airbenders" he finishes off as I wipe my tears from my face and try to compose myself once again.

"It's alright, at least we have each other." I say as I hug Aang and try to comfort him.

"Are you really okay now?" Sokka asks me as Katara walks into the room with the statues where Aang was.

"Yea" I say weakly as I pet Appa's belly, "why wouldn't I be?"

"I'm being serious" Sokka whines, "you didn't look okay back there, is there anything I can do?" He finishes off, a mischievous thought crossing my mind. I grin to myself before starting to approach him. I stand face to face with Sokka as he looks at me confused before I quickly tip toe and peck him in the cheek. He looks taken aback before turning into a blushing mess. I giggle to myself as I see his reaction, my guilt slowly fading away.