Chapter 79

Miranda's POV

I watched him carefully as he shook his head whispering to his people. "They are taking us for fools. This is a ruse. A filthy lie." Then his voice rose as he addressed us, "The Arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick!"

"I-It's no trick." Bilbo said. "The stone is real. I gave it to them." I watched as Thorin's face fell, filling with sadness and disbelief.

"You?" He asked, as if he couldn't believe it.

"I took it as my 15th share," Bilbo spoke, unable to look directly into Thorin's eyes.

"You would steal from me?" He asked, his voice just above a whisper.

"Steal from you?" Bilbo questioned, "No. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I am an honest one." Thorin's eyes grew harder as Bilbo continued. "I'm willing to let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim?" Thorin asked, rising from his disappointment. "Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!" Thorin threw down his bow, stepping threateningly towards Bilbo but the hobbit held his own.

"I was going to give it to you," He began. "Many times, I wanted to, but-"

"But what, thief?" Thorin growled.

"You are changed, Thorin." Bilbo claimed. "The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word. Would never have doubted the loyalty of his own kin!"

"Do not speak to me of loyalty," Thorin growled. "Throw him from the rampart!" Everyone stared at him as if he had gone mad. Rochben started forward, but I stopped him. Thranduil raised his eyebrow at me, as I was now standing beside him. "Do you not hear me!" Thorin cried, pulling Fili's arm roughly. He looked around himself, before proclaiming, "I will do it myself. Curse you! Cursed be the wizard that forced you on this company!" I tensed as Thorin grabbed Bilbo by his shirt and started shaking him around.

I relaxed as I heard Gandalf's voice, "You give back my burglar! If you don't like my burglar, then please don't damage him. Return him to me." I sighed in relief, urging Rochben to back up. Thranduil gave me a look and I stopped in my tracks, nodding my assent. "You're not making a very splendid figure as King Under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?"

Thorin stared at Gandalf with a surprised look on his face, finally releasing the struggling Bilbo. "Never again will I have dealings with wizards or Shire Rats!" Thorin proclaimed. But I was no longer paying too much attention to the greedy dwarf, I was watching Bofur take Bilbo away from Thorin. The hobbit began climbing down the side of the wall using a rope.

"Are we resolved?" Bard asked, likely hoping to take Thorin's attention away from Bilbo. "The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised?"

Thorin's eyes drifted to the hills and I tensed. I slowly placed my hand on the hilt of my sword and glanced at Thranduil before turning my attention back to Thorin who was now pacing. "Why should I buy back that which is rightfully mine?"

Thranduil winked at me before turning to Bard saying, "Keep it. Sell it. Ecthelion of Gondor will give you a good price for it.

"I will kill you!" Thorin yelled enraged. "Upon my oath, I will kill you all!"

Thranduil's head snapped in Thorin's direction. "Your oath means nothing! I have heard enough." Thranduil said turning his steed around. I caught Thranduil's eyes and tilted my head slightly towards the hill Thorin had been looking at moments before.

The archers of Mirkwood set their aim once more on the mountain. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Gandalf tense, calling out to the dwarf. "Thorin, lay down your arms. Open these doors. This treasure will be your death." The hand on my sword tightened.

"Sire," Balin said, "We cannot win this fight."

"Give us your answer." Bard called. "Will you have peace or war?"

A raven squawked, landing next to Thorin. "I will have war." At this I drew my sword and faced the hillside as an army of dwarves could be seen marching towards the mountain.