9. Worsening Problems

Warisha's POV

I was standing outside a local cafe,thinking if I should go inside or not. It's 4:10 PM,I'm already 10 minutes late.

After letting everyone know my decision yesterday,abbu let them know our opinion. Then Wajed uncle called abbu and asked if I could meet Alyan as he had few things to talk with me. He said Alyan is supposed to go back in the city tomorrow,so he wants to make everything clear between us before our families proceed with this relationship. As our families want to conduct the engagement(actually marriage in islamic terms) after my exams,in next month.

At first I didn't want to come. I mean,it's so awkward,me meeting him at a cafe,alone. I don't even know him properly,so it seemed very weird to me. But abbu said that if we want to take things further,we have to know each other,talk about some things which are needed. And in this,someone else's presence can be misleading. So overall,I have to meet him alone(and by alone,I mean without any family member).

I took a long breath and proceeded towards the cafe,trying to control my nerves. As I know,our first meeting didn't go very well.

I went inside and looked at my surrounding. There's not much people. I was looking for Alyan and there he was,waving at me from a table at the back of the cafe. He is wearing a grey tee shirt with black jeans.I nervously went towards him. He stood up and smiled at me.

"Assalamualaikum." I greeted him as he signalled me to sit on the chair,opposite to him.

"Walaikumassalam." He said smiling at me.

And silence......

"So...how are you?" He asked me,eager to break the silence.

"I'm good. What about you?"

"Alhamdulillah,I'm fine. Will you have anything?"

"No,thanks."

"Nothing? Come on,we didn't come here just to sit and blabber. Let's have coffee."

"Yeah,that's good."

Alyan ordered two coffees and looked at me.

"Well,abbu told me about your familys opinion. And you must also know,my family also liked you. Now they want to proceed with this relationship. But before anything,I want to make some things clear. As you know,it's a big decision for both of us and I don't want to spare any confusion or something." Alyan said with a serious look.

I just nodded at him.

About what does he want to talk to me?

"Firstly, are you being forced in this?" He asked me out of blue.

"No,why do you think so?" I asked him raising my brow.

"Don't take me wrong but normally people don't get committed at such an age. You're just in college right now. You have a long way to go,don't you think it to be too early?" He asked me with a bit of confusion in his voice.

"Hmm it's true that it's very early. Frankly speaking this is what I thought when ammi and abbu first talked about this to me. Abbu has some major health problem which is making him unsecured of his existence. He is tensed about me,what will happen to me if he leaves. And so he wants to tie me with someone,just to make sure I'll be fine if anything happens to him." I said trying to keep my voice steady as some unknown fear was making me weak thinking about abbus health.

"You know that's not true. Allah forbid,if anything happens to him that doesn't mean you will be alone. You can go ahead with your life. Though it's normal from his side to be tensed about you. Does that mean you agreed to this proposal just to assure uncle?" He said. I don't know why I sensed uneasiness in his voice.