27. Vines that cure my depression

"I'm so depressed," Zebrina whispered into the sky— grey smoke violently swirling together in a war-like pattern

"I'm so depressed," Zebrina whispered into the sky— grey smoke violently swirling together in a war-like pattern. "Living is such a drag."

Sewage sloshed underneath the cracking asphalt road, and humidity stuck to Zebrina's skin like hungry leeches. Despite the heat, the girl was dressed head to toe in black. Fishnet stockings crept up her legs in intricate patterns, and her black corset hugged her curves to emphasize her triple D assets.

Zebrina Bloodmore (short for Tradescantia Zebrina Bloodmore) was a beautiful thing in society's eye. Some people told her that she looked like Morticia Addams, but Zebrina didn't even know who that was. In her vermillion orbs, she was nothing more than unfiltered trash. Slender was sweet talk for starved, after all, and milky white skin was just pasty white in purple prose. Her cheeks were hollow, and her bow-shaped lips were dry like the Sahara Desert.

Truly, she was the scum of the earth.

"What do you think, Leo?" Her voice was velvety like melted chocolate. Long, ebony hair flowed behind her in pretty flutters. Whenever she turned her head, she smelled the scent of strawberries remaining from her shampoo. God, she hated strawberries.

Leo, Zebrina's best friend, attempted to look enthusiastic but failed spectacularly. "I want to sleep." Similar to his friend, the boy was dressed in all black. Chains decorated his pants and neck, while his normally straight hair was permed to resemble a cloud.

"I agree. Sleeping is like a taste of death that has no commitments."

Leo repressed the urge to throw himself against a wall.

"I care for you, Zee," was all he could muster. "If you need help, talk to me. There's so much good stuff in this terrible city. I know how much you love the ice cream at Willy Gee's Ice Cream parlor." With that, Leo held his friend's skinny wrist and dragged her in the direction of the parlor.

"You know I'm anorexic!" Zebrina shrilled, harshly retracting her hands from Leo's warm grasp. "I'm depressed and anorexic!"

My God, she was treating mental illness as some kind of personality trait.

Zebrina rubbed her wrists, anger flashing in her eyes. "If you were truly my friend, you would understand that I can't eat because I'm anorexic."

There were so many things he wanted to say at that moment, but, alas, he must stick to the plot. "I'm sorry."

"It's ok."

A comfortable silence returned as the two friends walked to Zebrina's run-down home (just ignore the gang fight three streets down). Concrete towers loomed over her as if attempting to swallow her in darkness. Everything reeked of decay with graffiti and vulgar images decorating the grime ridden walls. The moment she graduated high school Zebrina was going to ditch Nox City and make a living for herself and her 20 pairs of combat boots.