Being A Team

Eislyn P.O.V.

I walk outside the tattoo shop, and I see Dagger leaning up against the motorcycle.

"I think you have something to say to me."

"I was wrong-"

"Yeah, and..."

"I know it's your body, but I want to get our lives started together. I'm rushing it because I want it so bad, and I forgot-"

"That I have feelings and deserve to choose when I want to be pregnant?!"

"Yes. I wasn't listening to your needs and focusing on my wants. If you don't want to have kids right now, that's okay. I'm okay with us just being us. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier, and you are right. I want you to be happy. If being pregnant right now will not make you happy, then let's forget about pregnancy for now."

I step closer to Dagger, taking his hand in mine.

"I want to have kids. I really do, I promise. You know that. Now is just not the right time. I'm just not ready."

"Do you want to talk about why you aren't?"

"Can we get off the sidewalk and go somewhere else? Not home, but somewhere else."

"Let's go to the lake, yeah?"

"Sounds good."

Dagger gets onto the bike, starting it up, while I finish putting on my helmet. I swing my leg over the back, and I wrap my hands around his waist. Dagger quickly drives (going the speed limit) the both of us to the edge of the lake so that we can talk about my thoughts in private. Once we are settled, the heat beating down on us and my toes in the water, Dagger begins.

"So, what's going on?"

"You know my past. My father and mother had a choice, whether to be good parents or not, and they chose to be the latter. I'm worried that I will chose the same thing as them. I mean, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"You're scared you'll choose the same this as your parents? Really? Wow. I didn't think you could feel that way about it."

"Why?"

"Because you remind me so much of Marcie and Links. They stuck by me by matter what. They were parents to me than my own. I never thought that you would think you would ever be like your biological parents."

"What about you? Aren't you scared?"

"For different reasons. I'm more scared about being a parent to our children than leaving them. What's got you scared?"

"That I'll leave them or be like my mother and abuse them."

"You are going to be a wonderful mom. I have no doubt that you will do you best for them. Your parents shouldn't hold you back from something you want."

"I hear what you are saying, but I'm still not ready."

"And that's perfectly fine. We're going to do what's best for the both of us, communicate, and listen to one another."

"They say the first year marriage is the hardest."

"But we'll make it through. We'll figure it out. I'm so in love with you. All I want is your happiness."

"I love you too."

Dagger runs his fingers over my covered tattoo.

"You aren't regretting this right?"

"No. How could you ask that? No matter what happens...I'll love you. I married you because I love you, and I want all that comes with you."

"And I want all that comes with you."

We lean forward, pressing our lips together passionately. He holds the sides of my face and keeps me close to him even as we pull away. I play with his fingers, my head laying on Dagger's chest, and we look out across the lake. Sitting there in glorious silence, loving each other without spoken words.

Things are gonna be hard sometimes, but there's no other person I would go into a battle with. We a team fighting against a problem, instead of us fighting because of a problem. There's a big difference between the two. I'm ready to face it all, head on, as long as I have Dagger.