𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟕𝟐

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

As if sensing Astrid's gaze on him, Vader turned towards the elevator to where the three of them stood rooted in place in shock and fear at the sight of him. Astrid swallowed. If only Vader wasn't wearing that black helmet of his. 

His anonymity stripped him of any sense of humanity, making it easy to fear him. 

Disgusted with herself for fearing a Sith, Astrid discreetly nudged Matthew forward since he was technically the Imperial officer in charge. She wished Jun had tagged along instead of Matthew. Astrid was discovering that Matthew was quite fearful and, well, delicate. Delicate wasn't a trait they needed or wanted on a mission, especially one as important as this one. 

Matthew stumbled forward a few steps and swallowed audibly as he quickly regained his balance and straightened. He nervously smoothed out his grey officer's jacket with his hands before he began walking forward. Hera and Astrid followed behind him a few paces away. 

Vader had fully turned towards them at this point, the Imperial officer beside him all but forgotten. Before Vader could speak, Matthew clasped a fist to his heart and said, "Lord Vader, " He paused before stammering, "I--I was informed to come up here. Another officer told me you had a-- had a mission for me." 

The room had gone entirely silent, except for the mechanical breaths that filled the air from Vader's helmet. Vader studied Matthew for a moment before he spoke in a slightly mechanical, rough voice, "And who are you?" 

"Colonel Quill, sir," Matthew hurriedly replied. 

Astrid eyes dared to move to the Imperial officer beside Vader, and she startled at his appearance. How could she have dismissed him so indifferently earlier? His appearance easily made him stand out. 

The Imperial officer had striking blue skin and vibrantly red eyes that glittered with distain as he regarded their trio, as if irritated that his discussion with Vader had been interrupted. His face was angular, and unlike the other Imperial officers, he wore a form-fitting white uniform instead of a slate grey uniform. Judging by his uniform and its decorations, he was a Grand Admiral of the Imperial Navy. 

Vader turned towards the Grand Admiral officer and ordered, "You are free to go after the rebels in Ryloth, Captain Thrawn. But bring Captain Hera Syndulla alive to me. She could prove useful to finding the other rebel cells scattered throughout the galaxy." 

Astrid's blood ran cold at Vader's mention of Hera. Captain Thrawn nodded, a faint, satisfied smirk tugging at his blue lips. He saluted Vader before brushing past their trio with a cold, scornful glance. It was only until the elevator doors closed behind Captain Thrawn that Vader turned back towards Matthew.

"I did not request your presence, Colonel," Vader remarked coldly. "What officer sent you here?" 

Matthew opened his mouth but no words came out. Astrid exhaled slowly in an effort to combat her anxiety and increasing annoyance towards Matthew, who was proving to be one to cave under pressure. 

Finally, Matthew stammered out, "I am not sure, sir. I uh wasn't able to uh see their--their name tag." 

Astrid's hands curled into fists. Matthew was about to blow their cover with all of his stammering.

Matthew quickly added, "But the officer told me to come here because-- he told me-- you wanted to give me some papers about the Death Star, sir."

Vader stood there silently. And then ever so slowly his head turned away from Matthew to look directly at Astrid. Astrid's heart skipped a beat as her stomach dropped, her mouth suddenly dry. Why was he looking at her? He couldn't possibly know it was her under this armor, especially with the stormtrooper's helmet over her face.