04

~ ilya ~

As she fell forward, my hands shot out to catch her.

The black-haired сука felt like a feather in my arms, despite having a curvier figure than most women I've encountered. Something twisted in my gut when I looked down to her graceful features. I starkly remembered how bright her blue-green eyes were, reminding me of the sea. The ferocity in them as well as the defiance... to say the least, it was infuriating. Her beauty was undeniable.

But her foolishness had brought her to her death. Did she think she'd survive when plotting against me?

I was Ilya Dimitri Ivanov, the notorious Russian Mob Boss. The Solntsevskaya Bratva was one of the most powerful criminal syndicates in the world and I, its godfather. Of course, Mogilevich wanted it all. His own petty little gang was nothing compared to my kingdom. Did he think he could use a pathetic woman to bring me to my knees?

The bastard had his eyes on my nuclear trade with the Americans for almost a decade now. He wanted the identity of my clients. Apart from the nuclears, he envied my arms dealings and my drug cartel. Nonetheless, Mogilevich's intrusions made less of a difference to me than he thought. The head of his last spy should've shown him that at least.

I had bigger problems to deal with.

For two months, my men and I have been seeking revenge on the Italian bastards, who thought they could cross the Russians. Alessandro Fioretti was the underboss of his own pathetic mafia and ever since he and his scum intercepted  the goods of our biggest drug deal in a decade, he was the most wanted man for my Bratva. It wasn't easy to catch the fucker alone, not after he'd increased his security by ten troops. Last night, we were lucky that the tip we'd received was accurate. Finally, I could restore our pride and avenge our loss.

The Russians and Italians weren't always enemies. The only difference we had was that they enjoyed trafficking women and we loathed that. Of course, I had my brothels but I did not kidnap and sell humans. My father, the last Pakhan, made that very clear. Our relations had always been a little strained, especially as we declined their offer of an alliance.

But then they had to fuck it all up by slaughtering my brother.

Ever since, we were two kingdoms out for each other's blood.

Alessandro Fioretti deserved his death. Of course, it couldn't be as slow and torturous as I would have liked — we were, after all, on their territory — but it was all going smoothly. That was until this сука came along.

Perhaps, she might've gotten away with it. But her weak stomach had given her away.

That might have indicated her innocence; perhaps she wasn't a spy. Those wide, teary eyes seemed genuine. Or maybe Phoenix Vale was a good actress.

Even so, witnesses, innocent or guilty, had one fate and one fate only: death. It was a silent rule that ensured no criminal organisation would ever be endangered.

However, until we assured she was no spy, we had to keep her alive. So bringing her to Russia, to this tightly secured compound seemed like the best option.

The verdict would be revealed soon enough.

I carried her from the helipad down to the basement of the Mafia's base, the Ivanov Mansion, to a room that would be heavily monitored. The cell was minimalist, with a comfortable bed, a dresser and an en suite. There were no additional items that she could use to endanger herself or one of my men. I wondered what level of training she might've received.

As I lay her on the bed, another thought crossed my mind. If she was a spy, why didn't she pull the trigger? Or even if she was innocent? I'd intended to make it very clear that she was not leaving Russia alive, at any circumstance. So at least to protect herself, she should have killed me. But she didn't. Was she bound to her moral conscience that tightly?

In the Bratva, it was sensible to forget about right and wrong. Every man would kill to defend their brother. This was a family, a brotherhood, and in love and war, to protect them, everything was fair, no? Even death. I'd learnt that lesson very well years ago. Hesitating to end one life would lead to more lost. Never again would I make that mistake again.

A soft whimper snatched me out of my thoughts.

The girl was writhing on the mattress. Her short little dress rode up to reveal even more tender, creamy skin. Could it be possible that she was a whore? Somebody's little проститутка [prostitute]? If she did belong to a mafia, then surely she'd bore its emblem?

Each man under my command, even the whores, had a mark of loyalty. Ivanov's mark. The symbol of a gun and a rose belonged to my dynasty.

With a frustrated sigh, I ran a hand through my hair. How would I find it?

Inching closer, my eyes roamed the visible skin that was unclaimed by any tattoo. I was only centimetres away from her pretty little face when those eyes snapped open, flourishing the hue of a raging sea locked with a vicious storm.

I heard the slight hitch of her breath as those crystalline gems widened fractionally. Then with panic, she jumped away to the other side of the bed.

"W-what are you doing?" she demanded, with an accusing tone.

My brows furrowed at her sudden anxiety before it dawned on me.

"Oh, дорогой, if I wanted you," I said slowly, trapping her with my gaze, "I would have you." [darling]

Phoenix looked shocked for a second before she wore an expression of rage. "Let me go."

"Oh, I will, once you've assured me that you have no ties to any of my enemies," I told her, moving closer.

"I already told you-"

"In that case, you wouldn't mind if I saw for myself, would you?" I coaxed, lifting a finger to graze her raven locks.

"What do you mean?" she asked with bewilderment. Those arched brows dipped as she frowned.

I wondered how she'd react. Anger? Fear? Or challenge? Or perhaps, neither of those. Maybe she'd ignore me. But regardless of her response, she had no choice but to reassure me that she could be innocent.

Then, I'd be able to decide if her execution would be merciful... or ruthless.

"Phoenix. I need you to-"

I anticipated a reaction in those pretty blue eyes.

"-strip."

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎