Ch.31 Sugarless

Chapter 31

Heyder stood staring at the spot where Maya had just been standing in moments ago. Just moments ago there was light in his universe. There was a strange kind of happiness that even amidst all the chaos and heartache there would be love. But she took it all with her. After all it was all hers to take. Had Heyder ever had anything in his life without her?

Seconds turned into minutes and minutes into hours. The jinn stood still as ice in the freezing hospital room trying to find the moment in his life where everything had gone down hill. Heyder was beginning to believe happiness was never meant for him. It avoided him at all cost. Since the day he was born a dark cloud followed him around, hiding any hint of light. What did happiness feel like? What did the heat of the sun feel like on your skin? He would never know. And any time he thought he was close to tasting the joy, it would be snatched away from him.

"You can stare at the door all you want, but she's not coming back."

The small voice pulled Heyder out of his head. He turned to find Clare sitting on the edge of his bed. Her big gray doe eyes were ever so watchful and intimidating.

"I know," Heyder sighed. He ran a clumsy hand through his hair and then down the back of his neck. "I know she's not coming back."

"She's scared," Clare said looking at the door. "Scared to get her heartbroken, scared to break you, scared of losing control."

"I know the feeling all too well," Heyder looked at the IV incision in his arm before ripping it out.

"Should you be doing that?" Clare eyed him with concern.

"My body can heal itself," Heyder tossed the needle onto the table. He looked up at the girl as he rubbed the sticky tape off his skin. "Why are you here?"

"To make sure we still had a deal."

"Why wouldn't we?"

"Well......" Clare frowned. "Maya just broke up with you."

Heyder gave a dry laugh, "So you thought I would give up looking for the ophiotaurus."

"No Maya, no curse, no bull for Clare," Clare shrugged. "My family can be so difficult sometimes."

"But I have a feeling all that never matters to you," Heyder tilted his head. "You always get what you want."

"And I want everything I can't have," Clare smirked.

"You're not a Dorin," Heyder reminded her. "You're a Radacovick."

"And are we any less?"

"No," Heyder sighed as he took a seat on the bed.

"You like my father, don't you?"

"Whatever gave you that idea?"

"When you thought my mom was Maya, you originally gave her up to be with my dad," Clare said. "You saved their mate bond. You would have never done that if you through my dad couldn't keep your maya happy."

Heyder didn't speak. He stared at his hands as he rested his elbows on his knees. He felt Clare's gaze on him from where she sat.

"What changed your mind?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you change your mind and try to break them up?"

"I wanted my girl," Heyder shrugged.

"Ew," Clare gagged. "That's my mother and not your girl."

"Well I know that now," Heyder snapped. "For us it's not like wolves. We don't know instantly who our mates are."