thirty-five

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘
( 𝘐𝘔𝘗𝘜𝘓𝘚𝘐𝘝𝘐𝘛𝘠. )

AFTER THE MEETING HAD COME TO A CLOSE, the air surrounding those who lived in Alexandria had changed

AFTER THE MEETING HAD COME TO A CLOSE, the air surrounding those who lived in Alexandria had changed. There was an existential threat heading their way, seemingly unstoppable and inevitable. And this was no trivial matter. This was a herd. One walker alone was enough to terrify the Alexandrians. But tens, hundreds, or thousands? That was something beyond the reach of their imaginations. That was something inconceivable to their inexperienced minds. The tendrils of their knowledge reached out to grasp the notion, but only brushed the surface. However, the surface was all that was needed to act.

As the others began preparing for the building of barriers and the strategic advancements that would be needed for the plan, Murphy knew she was likely needed in the infirmary. Someone was bound to have a fever or a cough, and however insignificant a sickness seemed, Murphy knew that it was her duty to take it into account. Especially in a world where life was not taken for granted- it was placed on a pedestal and held in high regard. If you were alive, that meant you had survived. It was her job to ensure that no one else passed because of something that could have been avoided.

So she said her goodbyes to Daryl, Rick, Michonne, and the others, and made her way down the streets of Alexandria to the place of medicine and health where she felt most at home. Of course, memories of Pete and Tara and the times of unsavory nature had not slipped her mind. In the short time that the group had been there, they had already experienced more terrible things than necessary. But the infirmary brought her back to the days before the end of the world. Although there were problems back then- more personal than anything- she knew that her work was one of the most rewarding jobs... bringing a person back from the brink of death.

But nature seemed to be thinking along the same lines, for those who should have passed into the world beyond now walked the Earth beside those who lived. Murphy shook her head as the jumbled thoughts bounced around the barriers of her mind. She was alive in a safe place, with nothing to worry about... well, nothing more serious than usual. There always seemed to be an impending threat of doom wherever she resided. Maybe she attracted it, or it followed her around.

She scoffed as she stepped up the porch and reached the door to her work. When she entered, she did not expect to be greeted by someone who had been waiting for her return. A young woman sat on the ground before her, nervously flipping through a book that rested in her lap. When Murphy made her way into the room, she looked up from beneath the strands of frazzled hair that fell before her eyes and pushed up the glasses that had slipped to the tip of her nose.

"Hey!" Murphy greeted, shutting the door behind her with a wide grin. "Can I help you?"

"Yes! At least... I hope so," the woman chuckled nervously before pushing herself up from the ground and holding out her hand. "I'm Denise."