chapter fifty-three

warning: sexual content

Rowyn's hands shook as she thought of Peter's broken expression when she left the castle. Apart of her wanted to turn around and run into his arms but if she didn't deal with Jadis now, she would come back later when they weren't ready and kill her then. She closed her eyes and moved her hands closer to the fire she made to warm her as night fell. Rowyn's throat burned as her eyes followed suit. Letting out a shaky breath, Rowyn stood up from her place beside the small fire before putting it out and deciding to push on.

Having originally planned on sleeping, Rowyn found that her thoughts were too aggressive to allow it. Rowyn's head hurt from the lack of sleep but she didn't care. She had to keep moving. The sooner this was over the sooner she could be with Peter again.

Peter.

More thoughts about how she left him crying and alone made her eyes burn more as her vision blurred. But the suddenly snap of a twig beside her made her freeze and flick open her switchblade while hiding herself behind a tree. When she slowly peeked her head out to look at where the noise came from she saw a lone man walking with a black hood covering his face. Rowyn took a deep breath and hid back behind the tree, keeping her back pressed against it.

Footsteps sounded closer and when they sounded almost beside her, Rowyn lunged out and attacked the man. The man grunted as she swiped the blade against his left hand as he rose both his hands to shield his face. "Stop!" He shouted but she didn't listen. It wasn't until the man pushed Rowyn down to the dirt beneath them and pinned her arms on either side of her head that she stopped.

Rowyn was breathing hard as he pulled the hood off of his head and she saw blond hair resting beneath it and blue eyes piercing hers. "Peter?" She breathed out in disbelief and then horror at what she just did. "What the hell! I could've killed you! W-What the hell are you doing here?" She asked.

Peter gave a small smile. "You think I'd let you do this on your own?" He said from above her. He released her wrists and sat up as Rowyn did as well.

"Peter, I'm so sorry-" She said while grabbing his hand and observing the line of blood that ran down his palm.

He shrugged it off. "I've survived worse . . . sorry for scaring you—I thought you were someone bad too until I heard your grunts." Rowyn gave him a look before he grabbed her hand and pulled her up off the ground.

"You shouldn't be here." Rowyn told him. "I have to do this on my own-"

"Shut up," Peter cut her off. "We do this together . . . you and me—we're more powerful together . . . you go, I go—end of story."

Rowyn opened her mouth to argue his point but soon failed.

Peter kissed her temple. "Come on, we shouldn't be so out in the open." He moved his hand underneath her backpack to rest on the small of her back before leading her away from open section of forest they had been in.

Soon, rain began to fall down onto them and Peter gave her his hood despite her telling him not to. "Here!" Rowyn called out to him when she found a small cave along the ocean that they soon found themselves walking by. Rowyn took a deep breath the moment she stepped into the cover and escaped the rain. "How far is it?" She pulled the map out.

Peter came up behind her and looked at the map while his hand rested on her back. "It's just there so maybe three hours—five tops." Peter moved away from her after showing her where they were compared to where their destination was. After gathering some sticks, he began to attempt to make a fire.

"Pete?" Rowyn questioned as he struggled to make a fire.

"Huh?" He muttered out while continuing to try and make a fire. Rowyn bit her lip to stifle a laugh before flicking her hand out and igniting the pile of wood. "Why did I forgot you could do that?" He looked up at her with a smile.