44 | genotype

CHAPTER 44,

GENOTYPE

"No, I'm not on drugs!"

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

INDIANA IS CURRENTLY standing in the animal clinic with the boys, a flip phone resting on the table in the middle of them with the voicemail log pulled up.

"Hey, it's me again." A woman begins on a voicemail. "I don't know why you can't seem to call me back. Maybe it's because you think you're punishing me but this is too long. I- It's too much and it's not about us. Something's happening in Beacon Hills, to the people here. I just... I just need to know everyone there with you is okay so can you just call me, please? One call, that's all I'm asking for. If you can't call me back then I'm going to get my answer anyway, that means I'm coming up there myself. Just try to remember it's my pack too."

"You pulled this off one of the bodies in the woods?" Theo questions.

"Malia did." Indiana replies.

"Yeah, there were six dead bodies and one of them had no face." Scott adds.

"Okay, so the one with no face, you think that's the woman on the phone?" Theo asks.

"Maybe." Scott replies.

"It's the same thing that happened to Aaron. It took over his body, basically stole his face and his DNA." Mason states. "Whoever this woman is, she could be the other half of the Anuk-ite."

"Which means she's just half of the problem. The other half we already know about, Aaron." Theo says.

"We don't know where he is though." Liam reminds.

"Aren't we supposed to keep both halves apart? If we know about one half, let's just go for that one for now." Theo tells them.

"I'm not agreeing with Theo, but I do think it'd be easier to track down Aaron over a voice on a phone." Mason says.

"That's agreeing with Theo." Liam informs.

"Yeah, but I thought I'd try to soften the blow a bit." Mason replies.

"Is everyone completely shocked that I might be right?" Theo asks.

"No, we just don't like it." Indiana replies.

"Maybe we should be looking for both Aaron and the woman on the phone." Scott suggests. "Since you guys agree, you can look for Aaron together. Indi, Liam, and I will try figure out whose voice is on the phone."

"If we find the other half, maybe we don't have to fight at all. Stop the Anuk-ite. Stop the war." Indiana tells them.

The five soon settle with the plan Scott said about splitting up, Theo and Mason walking out of the clinic where they make their way elsewhere in search for Aaron. This leaves Indiana still stood in the animal clinic with her brother and her boyfriend.