Chapter 9

Daniel's pov

Saturday arrived and I went off to meet my parents. The doctors said that my father was progressing well. I really hoped he will be back to normal.

I parked my car and went inside the mansion and went towards my dad's room. 

As soon as I entered I got an extremely pleasent surprise.

Layla was sitting there with my dad talking with him again. They were smiling, laughing along with his mom. He smiled looking at all of them.

'Hi.' He said and all of them looked at him. 'Dan, you are here.' his mom said getting up and hugged him. He went towards his dad's bed and sat beside layla. 'Hey.' He greeted her. 'Hey...' Layla said back and looked at his dad again.

'I didn't know layla was here.' He told his dad. 'Honey, she comes to meet us almost everyday. Sometimes your dad acts like a child and dosent listen to me, but he listens to everything she says to him.' my mom said chuckling.

'Well, she is like my daughter. Why wouldn't I listen to her.' Dad said patting her head and layla had a genuine smile on her face.

'You will be back to normal in no time uncle.' Layla said. 'Yeah, I am sure about it too.' I interjected.

Dad seemed happy with me around. We talked a lot. It felt nice. Even if I would call them daily I had not met my parents for a long time.

'Oh, I had bought some herbal tea for you. I forgot it in my bag outside. I will go get it.' Layla said getting up. She went outside to fetch her bag.

'She is such a nice girl.'my mom said.  'I wish I had a daughter like her.'   'That's true. After Mr. Williams of there is anyone is the NGO I trust then it's her. She is a quick learner.' my dad said.

'I couldn't agree more.' I replied. I was so happy to meet her again. 'BUT dad, mom said you don't like to take your medicines sometimes. Don't do that. You should not ignore your health like this.' I said in a stern voice.

'OK fine dan. I will keep that in mind.' Dad said. At that moment layla arrived with her tea. She was holding a mug in her hand.

'This has a lot of health benefits.' she said handing it over to my father. 'It tastes good too.' my father said. 'Yeah, you get this in my hometown. It's a local favourite there.' she said sitting down again.

'Here.' she said handing over a huge jar to my mom. 'How much is it honey.' my mom asked. 'I am not taking a single penny from you for this.' she said.

'Any progress with the property search layla?' my dad asked her. She just shook her head. 'I will have to rent a one that is a little far temporarily.' she replied.

'Why don't you just move in that apartment I showed you last week.' I suddenly said. 'What apartment?' my dad asked. 'Oh, dad the one right next to my penthouse. It has been lying empty ever since I purchased it. She can rent that one right?' I said.

'Yeah, that's such a good idea.' my mom said.

'No.... No... I mean that's a nice idea but..... I can't rent a place from you guys.... Its...' Layla started saying.

'Layla, it seems logical. The place is close to our NGO. It will have an affordable rent and you can stay there as long as you want. We will not put any kind of restrictions or rules you have to abide by. Moreover we will be happy to have you as a tenant. We trust you a lot. Think about it. You said we were like your parents, right? My dad asked her.

'It seems logical..........' Layla said though she seemed to have an expression I could not read. 'So that's it.... We will do the legal paperwork and you can move in next month.' my mom said happily.

'Okay then.. Its getting pretty late. Uncle, aunt I will come again day after tomorrow. I will take my leave now.' she said grabbing her purse and getting up. 

'Oh, Daniel will drop you.' his mom said. 'No yhsnk you, he did last time, there is absolutely no need. He must be tired' she said.

'I am not.' I replied. 'Layla, let him drop you. Don't take the bus now. You can also discuss rent and stuff.' my dad said.

'Daniel, can you drop her?' dad asked me. 'Absolutely.' I replied and got up. 'Daniel, there is absolutely no need.' she whispered.

'There is really no problem here layla.' I replied to her. There really wasn't. I was glad to drop her back home.

We both took our leave and started walking towards my car, 'Thank you for caring for my parents so much.' I said to her. 'Today whatever I am in life, I owe a big part of it to your parents. There is no need to thank me.' she replied.

I started my car and I asked her, 'So what is the rent at your current place?' I asked her. 'It's 1000 dollars a month.' she replied.

'Okay, so how about the same for my apartment?' I asked her.

'No.... Daniel I didn't say anything back then but.... I can't I mean...' she started saying. 'Layla, dad has gotten involved, his word is the final word. There is nothing I can do. You don't like the place?' I asked her.

'No.... I do like it but you are my bo....' she said. I stopped the car and parked it on the roadside. 'I am not your boss. We are friends layla. And my parents consider you their daughter. Its not even like we are helping you out, we are taking rent from you.' I said to her.

'I get your point.' she said. 'Then, you consider taking it for rent?' I asked her. She nodded her head.

I smiled and started driving again. I stopped near her old apartment building and she thanked me and got out.

I couldn't help but smile. So layla Vanderbilt was going to be my next door neighbour now...