Chapter Sixteen: The Schemer goes to shop

The capital's town square was a really busy one. 

This was my initial thought as I passed through the crowded streets and bustling people. The orientation already ended about an hour ago and I had decided to buy more comfortable clothes, in place of the suffocating princess dresses that my mother had ordered to maids to pack for me. 

However, my primary plan of shopping alone was hindered by the people currently with me. 

Viveca tagged along because I promised to have lunch with her. For this same reason, Cedric decided it would be in his best interest to go with us since he was, after all, invited by Viveca. Jamie was dragged by Cedric and Matthias wanted to go too since he did not want to be left behind. At first, I was reluctant but a childhood friend is a childhood friend and I can bear to isolate him, no matter how annoying he may be. My brothers, on the other hand, had other stuff to do. Augustus had to report to the palace for his duties and Myron was called for by one of the academy's professor. 

And so, this was how my supposedly peaceful day of shopping got disrupted. 

"Oh my! Look at all these commoners," Viveca exclaimed. People turned to look at us with hostility so I immediately clamped her mouth. 

"Are you trying to get us chased out of here?" I scolded her. She shut up and muttered an apology. 

"Are you sure these only cost a single copper?" Cedric declared haughtily at the apple vendor cowering in front of him. "Hah! Won't you suffer from a deficit?"

The crowd around us started whispering and pointing at our small group. It was then that I noticed that my companions were really too eye-catching and were not wearing the hoods of their capes properly. The only thing that I am grateful for is the fact that the people do not seem to recognize any of us. That's not unusual though as only the nobilities have seen the crown prince in person. There are illustrations, of course, but how trustworthy were they? 

My fast reflexes instinctively grabbed Cedric away from the scene as I reprimanded him. "Ugh! Why can't you guys behave? And please be aware of your status!" With an angry tug, I pulled Cedric's hood forcefully over his head. 

All the while, Cedric kept his emerald green eyes at me as I furiously pointed out his mistakes. I noticed this so I pushed his face away with my hand. "Stop staring at me, will you?" Turning around, I scanned to look at my other companions and my eyes landed on Matthias who seemed to be . . . fighting with a child? Well, it seemed to look like it as the kid was bawling  her eyes out and Matthias was sullenly crouched in front of her without any word.

I hurriedly rushed over to his direction and stood between Matthias and the kid. "Are you seriously fighting with a kid now?" I did not come here to be a freakin' babysitter goddammit.

"I did not," Matthias said. 

"Why is she crying then?" I exasperatingly asked. 

Matthias did not answer. Oh, for goodness sake. 

Suddenly, I felt someone tug on my skirt. "Um, he did not fight with me," the little girl said in between her tears. 

I am not really good with children and I had always acted awkwardly around them. Therefore, when she suddenly stared at me with her tearful eyes and snot-filled nose, I could only mutter, "Um, yeah?"

Matthias unexpectedly stood up and wiped the child's face. I was surprised by his actions as I never have seen him act so affectionately towards another living being (I am not considering myself since his actions towards me were borderline very possessive, not affectionate). "Stop crying."